Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butts with Old Bay

Options
Two butts going on in a few minutes. One on the left is my usual- dizzy dust and generous rosemary. On the right is something I've not done before - half dizzy dust and half old bay. If you look at the ingredients of old bay, it's all our favorite things.

We'll taste them side by side tonight.

Comments

• exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    Options
    No idea why the photo posted upside down. Left is now right
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    That's a great idea.  I really like Old Bay, but never thought of doing it half and half with a rub I like.  Please report back.  I'm a big fan of the side-by-side comparisons, so keep at it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    As above-great idea-I have never thought of Old Bay and anything but seafood, will be watching for your review.  Thanks for the experiment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • exspo
    Options
    A couple hours in. Coming along nicely
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    +3 on never using it other than seafood, is a stable in my house though. Looking forward to the prognosis.  :-?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • exspo
    Options
    So the results are in. Both butts smoked the exact same way, with the same wood (apple chunks and hickory chips, spritzed with apple juice every couple hours.)

The Old Bay butt won the taste off (12 testers... err guests). I think we all agreed that it could have been better with even more Old Bay. I mixed 50/50.. and to be honest, my Old Bay wasn't brand new... prob 6-9 months old. So it may not have had the bite that was expected when new.

But yes, the guests veered towards the Old Bay and Dizzy far more than the 'just Dizzy.' Probably 2:1. I don't have the solution here but have the seed for those who will go forward and refine it.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Definitely an interesting experiment.  I have never used  Old Bay for anything besides boils and seafood.  Might have to give this a whirl, thanks for the report.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Never thought of Old Bay for pork - may have to try it next time.  

caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great idea! I'll try that sometime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    This is great, thanks for sharing with us. We love Old Bay on Turkey burgers and on beef burgers cooked in cast iron. Will certainly give it a run soon.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    On ribs?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @exspo-thanks for the follow-up.  Will definitely give it a shot and @henapple-ribs sound like a good test platform-quicker cook and "pork is pork..." Could be a July 4th audible.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I will let you know how it turnes out on ribs @henapple, I am doing 6 rack of Baby Backs for the 4th and will do a rack with Old Bay.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    interesting. 

Old Bay is primarily celery salt. 

celery salt (salt, celery seed), spices (including mustard, red pepper, black
    pepper, bay (laurel) leaves, cloves, allspice [pimento], ginger, mace, cardamom,
    cinnamon), and paprika
    Options
    @lousubcap... Coming through Louisville soon. Ozark Oak?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @henapple-sent you a PM-thanks!
  • Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    Options
    I do chicken wings with just Old Bay, nothing else.  They are delicious!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Old Bay is our "go-to" chicken rub because my family doesn't like heat.
    Flint, Michigan