Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Forum Fantasy Football league.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    B&BKnox said:

cazzy said:

B&BKnox said:

I'd be game, not a big yahoo fan tho.  NFL and ESPN I prefer.  Be great to have several smaller say 10 team leagues that way everyone gets a good team.  I have played in an 8 team league for over 20 years and everyone has a team capable of winning the league each year makes it fun.  Have looked at some 14 and 16 team rosters and your getting down the depth chart to field a team, rugged.

I think 8 and 10 team leagues has a lot more to do with luck and 12 and 14 team leagues have much more to do with skill and team management. If every team is stacked, there is no reason to play the waiver wire. I have been in a 14 team league for 7 years and it's still my most difficult league.

The other ones are 12 and 10.

Our little 8 team league averages over 70 transactions per 14 week season.  The waiver wire is used a lot.  As we all know there are never any surprises during a NFL season.  Luck is ALWAYS involved in winning a title, skill sure helps but luck is necessary as well.

Of course luck is involved, but when you have 8 teams, there are a ton of studs to find on the waiver wire. Not much trouble findng a middle tier guy to plug in for your stud.

When you have 12-14 teams, you actually have to think about what player you pick up. Does he have a favorible match up, is he filling in for a injured star, etc.

Bottom line, a 12 to 14 team league has less chance of everyone winning. You have to have a good draft (especially your back ups) and you have to play the waiver wire effectively. You also have to make a lot difficult line up decisions throughout the season. Not hmm, should I start Matt Forte or LeSean McCoy.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

How about this:

- All leagues use same scoring/roster system

- 12 teams per league

- 2 Yahoo (1 money, 1 free), 1 ESPN [can change/add to these depending on participants]

- Overall champions decided by cumulative points

- Closed leagues (only people on this forum)

- Fun trash-talking allowed

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Chubbs said:
    I am in as long as I get Aaron Hernandez first pic
    You'd have a killer team.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013

How about this:

- All leagues use same scoring/roster system

- 12 teams per league

- 2 Yahoo (1 money, 1 free), 1 ESPN [can change/add to these depending on participants]

- Overall champions decided by cumulative points

- Closed leagues (only people on this forum)

- Fun trash-talking allowed

I mostly agree. I think it should be all on yahoo. Easier to have the same scoring, rosters, and rules with the same league.

I honestly don't care where I play as it shouldn't matter where you play. In the end, it's all the same. Since there are a few set on only playing if its yahoo, lets go with yahoo.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2013
    1.) Playing for money (or something of value) is a must.  If you're not playing for something, it encourages the bad teams to give up the first chance they aren't doing well, which ruins the integrity of the league.

2.) Makes absolutely no difference what site we play at.  Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, AntSports, Elite Sports and a dozen other places all are good.  I try out a different site every year and it's all just a matter of reading the scoring format a playing accordingly.  They all have good and bad features.

3.)  Personally, I don't like leagues less than 12 teams.  The less teams you have, the more luck plays into it, as others have mentioned above.

* Anyone have an idea how we'd handle turning in and keeping the money for the winners?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @ChokeOnSmoke, the money problem is the biggest issue for me.  12-14 teams per league is what I'm personally shooting for.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    We should play for a mini... I mean seriously. Everyone throw in and buy it, winner gets it.

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    @ChokeOnSmoke, the money problem is the biggest issue for me.  12-14 teams per league is what I'm personally shooting for.
    Elaborate please.  Are you saying you would rather play free fantasy or are you referring to the challenge of collecting money over the net?
  • cazzy
    We should play for a mini... I mean seriously. Everyone throw in and buy it, winner gets it.
    Good idea!
  • MrCookingNurse
    cazzy said:
    Good idea!
    I would rather not play for money or pay to play, but an entry fee and then someone buy the prizes with first place being a mini would be cool. 

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Look at @MrCookingNurse being a idea guy.  Okay, here is my idea.  And it will be of very minimal cost for even those of you who don't want to put money in.  Depending on the amount of players we get we divide the cost of a Mini and a couple of other items for 2nd and 3rd place. Could be a swing adapter from the group buy for third and a Cast Iron grid for 2nd. If we get 3-4 leagues going buy in will be less then 15 bucks. 

Total points accumulated over the season, no head to head, and since it isn't head to head. Play all 17 weeks.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Really wish I could setup a poll on this forum.
  • cazzy
    edited July 2013
    Oh hell no. I hate the total points idea, it's just not fantasy if its not head to head. Potentially 36 players and total points just doesn't sound enjoyable.

What do mini's cost anyway? Lets start there.
  • Scottborasjr
    mini retails at $400, that's why with such a big group, total points is the only option I see. Unless someone can come up with something better.
  • cazzy

mini retails at $400, that's why with such a big group, total points is the only option I see. Unless someone can come up with something better.

Then each league's winner wins a mini.

$35-40 entry fee per owner.

Just my thought. Lets see what everyone else thinks.
  • Scottborasjr
    edited July 2013
    Exactly why I wish I could post a poll...just not sure I could get that many people to put that much cash in.

Hey Big Green Egg donate a couple of mini's for our fantasy league so we can donate 30 bucks a piece to the

• Scottborasjr
    If they are going to go ahead and throw a story about about the cause as the lead story on their site after @henapple announced his cause this is the least they could do.

Our fantasy donations would not be included in the drawing that @henapple has set up but it would be a good way to up the cause.
  • cazzy
    Once we get an idea of what people are comfortable with, we can figure out our leagues then.

For instance, you can have a free league (gasp!), an adjustable rig league, and a mini league.
  • MrCookingNurse
    It'll have to be at least 25-30$

XLBGE 
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    cazzy said:
    Once we get an idea of what people are comfortable with, we can figure out our leagues then. For instance, you can have a free league (gasp!), an adjustable rig league, and a mini league.
    BINGO
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    I'm in. But the CFL season has already started. :).
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I definitely like the mini idea.  $400 mini / 12 teams = $33.33 entry fee.  Doesn't seem like that much money to me for 17 weeks of fun.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    A mini would be a great prize
  • cazzy
    I definitely like the mini idea.  $400 mini / 12 teams = $33.33 entry fee.  Doesn't seem like that much money to me for 17 weeks of fun.
    I'm totally on board with it.  We will need to factor in shipping too...or maybe we can just buy a BGE Gift Card.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    I'm in......!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Definitely in.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MrCookingNurse
    @cazzy

A gift card or PayPal transfer would suffice. You'd need a other 50$ or so to safely ship a mini.

XLBGE 
  • Count me in
    XLBGE, LBGE, 2 Superior SS-2 gravity feed smokers;  Medford Lakes NJ
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited July 2013

I'm in.. Fine with a paying league..

* time to scout a spot on the patio for a mini *

>:)
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com