Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time to do something - But what? I need to loose weight

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    things that reheat well
    chili (you could have made this with the leftover prime)
    ossobucco
    vinha de alhos http://www.portuguesecooking.com/recipes/main_dishes/vinha_dalhos
    portuguese re beef
    http://hedonia.seantimberlake.com/hedonia/2008/10/molha-pressures-on.html
     serve the redbeef over cooked cauliflower

all of those have intense flavor

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Omlets and fritatas are great ways to use up leftovers or to 'mask' veggie flavor.  Brazilian Feijoada reheats very well (and if I recall from when my wife did South Beach diet black beans qualify on low carb). 

Also, dressings and sauces can work well as low carb.  Somebody already mentioned a blue cheese dressing with meat, but it would also work with veggies.  Especially if you did homemade versions, a basic marinara sauce or salsa should be low-carb.  Try a splash of cider vinegar on veggies - it is fantastic on cooked down greens, but should also help you with some of the others.  Mix horseradish and mayo, used sparingly as a dipping sauce.  You could also dip cooked veggies in mustard.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    So if I grilled up some chicken breasts tonight and cooked up 2 additional for the next two days lunches what would you do?  Make a whole new meal with the chicken after I am done grilling the chicken for lunch?  Dumping it over a salad does not help. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Slice them in half and put cheese, onion and lettuce in with some sauce and eat it like a sandwich.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    chicken with mushroom and kale soup would be good, maybe even drop an egg in it
    fukahwee maine

• Acn

Chop the chicken breast, combine with chopped banana peppers, toasted pecans, onion and celery, then mix in enough mayo and mustard to combine.  Get bibb lettuce and make chicken salad lettuce wraps.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Also you could combine the chicken, salsa and cheese and have taco lettuce wraps.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    if you got ambitous, chicken divan would be good reheated

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindishes/r/chickendivan.htm
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    We do a similar recipe and add a bunch of hot curry powder....like two tbsp. Really good!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Robnybbq,

I'm older than you, and am carrying way more weight than is good. I have a double plus problem. I like to exercise, and I have the time, but my ankles, knees, and lower back can't take much. Alas, even elbows and shoulders are getting there.

Here's what keeps me at least even, and sometimes even drops a few pounds.

Stop eating. What you will feel is not called starving. Its called hunger. It is the best spice there is. Crummy, tasteless food suddenly becomes mouthwatering if you really need to eat.

You are, as far as i can tell, just like me. Addicted to good food. I often feel like eating not because i am hungry, but because I want some of that good stuff in my mouth.  I've gotten better about that. No snack food in the house any more, except some pistachios. I do ask myself before each meal, do you really need this? Far too often, I just want to eat out of habit, and because I have a cabinet full of tasties.

I am lucky in that my wife also is keeping her weight down. A meal and a half works for her too.

Keep some good multi vitamins around. You may feel hungry, but at least not malnourished.
  • robnybbq
    edited June 2013
    I have not been that hungry the past few days (very low carb for 11 days). But trying to eat every 3 hours. Just don't want to eat what I am making. I just Need to learn how to cook. Egging is easy for bad foods like pork butts, briskets, burgers, steak. But I do not have a clue on how to cook other healthy tasty meals.

Besides little time to exercise I am scarred to to be honest.

Garnerville, NY
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Robnybbq, don't get discourage - it takes time to make a life change. Little steps will soon become big strides. Try making some spicy salsas and when mixed with veggies and cardboard chicken breats they won't be dry anymore!!! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gdenby
    robnybbq said:
    I have not been that hungry the past few days (very low carb for 11 days). But trying to eat every 3 hours. Just don't want to eat what I am making. I just Need to learn how to cook.
    Here are a few cooking notions.

Bitter tastes in food can be decreased w. a small amounts of salt. This allows whatever sweetness there is to come out.

Acids are said to "brighten" flavors. Just a dash of lemon or lime juice, a splash of balsamic vinegar will really make flavors jump out.

There has been lots of discussion about the possible negative side effects of MSG. One of those is that it passes directly from the tongue to the brain, and then may trigger some sort of fat aquisition process. But everyone concedes that natural glutamates are the essential component of savory flavor. There are lots of good sources for those. Blue cheeses, parmasan, mushrooms, walnuts, and even celery have higher levels. Mix small quantities of those into other items for an overall improvement in flavor.

Soy sauce (real good stuff like Lee Kim Kee brand), real Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce have a permanent place on our kitchen table.

Fresh herbs and freshly ground spices are essential for good flavor.

Here is something that may strike you as odd, but crushed pork cracklins are a pretty good condiment. Very tasty from the intense maillard reaction chemicals in it, it is also rather high in protein and oleic acid, a "good" fat. Dusty some of that over anything for an bacon effect.

Likewise, bread crumbs from bread crusts. Not only do the crumbs add a bit of crunch, but the reason the crust browns is also due to maillard reaction.

And a trick. Ground chicken and turkey can make an OK burger. Bison, tho' expensive is far better. Extremely low in fat, and exceptionally high in protein. The problem is all those tend to cook up dry. Before forming the patties, add a small amount of plain, unflavored gelatin to some water or stock. Add that to the meat mixture, along w. some other flavor items. Make the patties, and let chill for awhile if possible. The gelatin will keep the cooked meat feeling succulent, and provide proteins that are not as easy to find in lean meats.

Any rate, there are a ton of things that will make foods taste much better without adding too much in the way of calories. Do not avoid all fats, as the omega fats are essential. Those will help carry many of the flavors.

• fishlessman
    i know you keep saying theres no time for exercise but with the low carb diet it seems a shame not to be taking advantage to all the protiens your eating. if you watch any tv, the news, a cooking show, the sports, anything, 30 minutes with dumbells is a no brainer and it doesnt need to be everyday, its actually better if just done a couple times a week, say monday and thu or tues and fri, or wed and sunday. it was my plan last weekend until i popped a rib, i really wish i was able to do it from the beginning. you dont need a whole set, just start with 15 and 20 pounders
    fukahwee maine

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@robnybbq - remember there is also the internet for lots of low carb recipes and most of them have ratings from people that think they are good, bad, or what they did to make them great. 

I don't ever review recipes online but God love those people that take the time to do it.  I really like that feature and appreciate that someone helps guide me. 

Just the other day I made a cabbage casserole with lentils instead of rice, and Veggie ground "meat" instead of ground beef and today I'm eating the third set of left overs.  Without a starting point recipe from the net I would never have made it.  Wife now wants it in the regular rotation.  So my advice is love the food, but love the exploration of creating new foods more and it will become easy.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• robnybbq
    Thanks guys.

Made chicken sausage and peppers last night that came out excellent.  That should keep the Italian/tomato sauce cravings in check for a little while.

Some of those casseroles sound great - but my other half does not eat much of that and especially cabbage or eggplant.  She will not eat most foods and If I make it for me only it ends up not good as I am not cooking for everyone.

I do like the idea of taco wraps with lettuce if I can find the big lettuce like that.

Garnerville, NY
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Here are some tips from my experience

deviled eggs are great for lunch
    artichokes with either butter or mayo
    make a simple sauce of soy, sesame oil, ginger (or garlic or both), sirachi if you have it and put on your grilled veggies.
    grill asparagus
    try putting different kinds of vinaigrettes on grilled veggies
    grill a bunch of sausages. those reheat well
    smoke a butt and put it in individual portion size freezer bags
    load your salads up with different cheeses, like bleu, mozz, etc..., depending on your tastes. It will fill you up
    sweet potatoes!
    pork rinds with hot sauce! You'll never feel so full

If you're going bananas for a pasta dish, go ahead and knock yourself out. It's not going to kill you. Just don't do it very often. You could also make a couple giant meatballs and add just a little pasta, that way you'll be cutting down on the carbs. 

I found the biggest thing with the low carb diet is to try and think of it in ways so it doesn't suck. If that mean eating a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's a couple times a year so be it.
  • robnybbq
    3 more lbs this week   :)

Plans for this week are:

- Fresh home ground ground beef for burgers (May grind with onion and cheese)
    - Meatballs later in the week with a homemade tomato sauce and spaghetti squash (going to try it)
    - Ground Turkey - taco style wrapped in boston lettuce.
    - Shell steak for my eggs for breakfast

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    your finally getting it, great job and your choices are getting better. prepare for a weight loss stall in a couple weeks but just keep at it and the weight will start dropping again. it will happen just be prepared and know it will happen and keep at it, something that seems to help during a stall is a day of eating fatty food like a really fatty burger, i dont know why this works but it does
    fukahwee maine

• Keep it simple! As a Type II Diabetic who has lost weight, kept it off and no longer takes medicine to control sugar levels all I can say is see you Doctor and a Registered Dietician. The USDA website has a free food and exercise tracker plus information on nutrition. Oh by the way I do eat pasta just not much, vegetable sauces work well and I know you have probably heard it before take it one bite at a time. Some days are better than others don't beat yourself up when you eat something you shouldn't or more than you should. I do use a scale to measure portions.

I was approved for bariatric surgery and chose to forego the procedure. I like to eat what I like to eat so I have to control my portions. Bariatric surgery requires significant dietary change permanently or you will has medical complications.

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    When doing whole chickens, try rubbing a couple of teaspoons of Plowboys "Yardbird" under the skin. ( It takes a bit of practice to get past the membrane that holds the skin on.)  The skin will help keep the meat moist and the rub will mix with the juices and penetrate the meat.  I love chicken skin but when I use this technique, I don't mind that the "other half" beats me to it.

Fighting the same battle... 40 lbs. overweight and just discovered that my blood sugar is too high and that I have developed sleep apnea. Gotta eat better or won't be eating at all!  
  • robnybbq
    2 more ponds this week.  Been going ok.  Starting yesterday I started having some cravings for more/different foods and do not want a plain hamburger(cheese) or

Had a killer brisket on Saturday and will have leftovers for lunch today (Have to microwave it so I will probably end up chucking it out).  Good way to loose weight - not eating.....

Meatballs later in the week with a homemade tomato sauce and spaghetti squash - not bad but note - Do not use Sirloin for meatballs - They will look and taste like rocks.

Ground Turkey - taco style wrapped in boston lettuce.  Was awesome and planned repeat this week.

I still need more meals that are no carb.  Trying to add more veggies but carrots/brocolli are getting old fast.  Green beans are still blah.  Found some 0 carb salad dressings to try this week as well. 

Been eating eggs everyday for breakfast so I need a new no carb meal there as well.

I just do not know where to go next - Everything has carbs - its really amazing when you look for them. 

We have some chicken breasts (thin) that I do not know what to do with - Probably wont egg them as they will end up in the trash. 

Any good cookbooks to look at?  Some ot the links here like the Portuguese meals I do not have a clue on what that will taste like so I am afraid to make allot of things.  Most sauces I see are still loaded with carbs.  Still can not get over the idea for example of adding parsley, basil, salt and pepper to chicken breast to make it taste good and anything but grass.  Did it and dont like it.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    couple things ive found recently, if i dont have time for a meal in the morning i make a simple protien shake, i find the myotien chocolate protien powder mixed with water to be tolerable.  look for kumatos in the supermarket, its a smallish brownish tomato that pops with flavor, i eat those sliced up with the eggs and if im skipping a meal ill eat one of those instead, its also good with delimeat wrapped around the sliced kumato
    fukahwee maine

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have a Fitbit which is a kind of Pedometer that tracks my steps.  There is also an app for the phone and a website dashboard where you can log your food intake.  If you do this you see calories eaten and burned, and it keeps you informed as to where you are on  the weight loss journey.  For me it worked.  I lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for 6 months.  You can get a FitBit at Amazon, Brookstone, or Best Buy if you are so inclined.  At the end of the day though, you need to eat less, but if you exercise, you can eat more.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • gdenby
    edited July 2013
    How are you doing your breakfast eggs? Omelettes are and invitation to add anything you like to the egg. Here's a quick method. Break an egg into a small bowl. Mix in a bit of milk or cream, just a small amount. Add a dash of parmesan or romano cheese. Add 1 drop of vinegar free hot sauce. Whisk. Microwave at 50% power for 2.5 - 3 min. Its even better if an extra yolk is added. I usually add some DP Ragin River, but because that has some sugar, I guess you would want to avoid it.

There are lots of low carb veg besides carrots and broccoli. Check out those. I like jicama shredded into a slaw.

As I mentioned, mix some gelatin w. the low fat meats. It requires make ahead, because the patties or balls need a few hours in the fridge (at least; I have some patties frozen for convenience). But the meat comes out more savory. The last batch I did, I pureed and strained onions, and used that fluid to make the gel. The burgers were super.

I recall you mentioned you, or perhaps your wife, did not like Indian cooking. You might want to look at that., tho'. There are a number of Indian dishes that are not very "spicy," i.e. hot. Kormas are often very mild. I made a lamb korma a few weeks ago. The sauce, which did have browned onion, and so had carbs in it, was primarily yogurt, cream, and almond flour, w. about a dozen different spices, mostly ginger. Very very tasty.

Essentially, look into making stocks (high in gelatin and concentrated flavor) and sauces. Check out hummus, very low in carbs. Mostly chickpeas, tahini and garlic. Dip some celery into that for a treat.

Look at some of the River Cottage cook books by  Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. English cooking, but very good flavors. You might find some trick there, w/o getting into more exotic stuff.
  • robnybbq
    thanks. 

I do not like Indian food - Do not like curry.  I do not like yogurt either.

Wife does not like most other things so trying to find a happy medium.

Just learned that our daughter has food allergies galore.  She can not have Tomatos, Soy, nuts.  Soy is another nasty ingredient in allot of foods.  So we are working around that as well.  So much for getting that Wok for Xmas - Time to sell it I guess.

Saw that Paella cook and I am now craving that.  What can I put shellfish on instead of rice/pasta?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    google paella with cauliflower rice, lots of recipes. tried the riced cauliflower this spring at SIL, i think she added some parmesan, wasnt bad
    fukahwee maine

• GrannyX4
    edited July 2013
    @robnybbq, try butterflying the chicken breasts, brush inside with mustard, put in a slice of ham and dill pickles. Grill but don't over cook. If you find a no carb salad dressing that is eatable share with us. Ken's has some decent ones with just a few carbs that are quite good. By the way you are doing a great job and hang in there. ;;)
  • fishlessman

GrannyX4 said:
    @robnybbq, try butterflying the chicken breasts, brush inside with mustard, put in a slice I'd ham and dill pickles. Grill but don't over cook. If you find a no carb salad dressing that is eatable share with us. Ken's has some decent ones with just a few carbs that are quite good. By the way you are doing a great job and hang in there. ;;)
    been adding kens blue cheese dressing, only one carb per serving, who woulda thought, its a staple added to  my coleslaw now with malt vinegar
    fukahwee maine

• GrannyX4
    @robnybbq said Had a killer brisket on Saturday and will have leftovers for lunch today (Have to microwave it so I will probably end up chucking it out).  Good way to loose weight - not eating..... It just dawn on me what you said....ARE you CRAZY! Have you eaten roast beef cold cuts cold? Eat the brisket the same way. Make mustard your best friend. Heinze has a reduced sugar ketchup with one carb per tablespoon. Not eating can be just as bad for your blood sugar. @fishlessman, Ken is in the pantry in all flavors. Publix has them BOGO all the time. It's a good thing.