Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel Pizza

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Decided to give the Baking Steel a try for pizza yesterday.  I have mixed feelings, but i'm not exactly going to give up just yet.  I struggled finding my sweet spot and honestly have turned out better pies from a stone.  Using Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, and just didn't get the spring i'm accustomed to.  Will try again...maybe I'll try with bread flour and see how it comes on the steel just for giggles.

If anyone has had success with 00, please let me know what temp you rolled with.  My first one was at 550 and my second one was at 650 and the bottom started to burn before the toppings were done.  With a stone, I usually roll at 700 for pies.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Looks great to me cazzy:)
    Pizza is awesome on the egg!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks pretty durn good from here, like it had a nice crispy crust to it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice job...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use caputo tipo 00 and it takes a lot of heat compared to lower glutan/protein flour.  Haven't used the baking steel over 550.  It does heat up faster than a stone, but you have to keep it shielded or you'll burn the crust.
    Griffin said:

Looks pretty durn good from here, like it had a nice crispy crust to it.

From a crust stand point, it was the best bottom crust I've had so far, but I don't know if that had to do with me going 2 oz heavier on my dough. It actually didn't droop down...but it lacked some of the nice chew.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    dude...you have that bad ass peel.  I'm envious.
    edited July 2013

dude...you have that bad ass peel.  I'm envious.

Dude, the peel is flipping legit!

http://youtu.be/0143cryz3DI

http://youtu.be/EfAWPub3z3s

http://youtu.be/koZOlIWvNqc

• Well there's your problem right there! Your steel has holes in it!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks great to me. I need to revise my pizza crust. Mine puffs up way too much when I do pizzas. Even if I poke holes in it with a fork prior to topping
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The steel transfers more heat more quickly to the pie than a stone. At the same temperature, the bottom will get more done faster.

Which can be a problem in an Egg. The initial recommendation for using a steel was for home ovens that could not get as hot as an Egg, but did have a broiler element on top. That way, hi temp was coming from both sides.

In an Egg, the air temp above the pie is usually lower than the temp coming from either a stone or steel. The toppings need to be thin.

I'm using an all purpose dough ball from a deli. It doesn't have very hi hydration. But better than what i can make. I'm getting a better, crisp crust w. the steel. But the toppings need to be minimal. Some good oilive oil, a bit of sauce, some fresh mozz and very thin shreds of meat. A sprinkle of parm.
  • hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    I just bought a "Pizza Dough Docker" from Amazon for less than $10, and supposedly that keeps the dough from forming large bubbles. It dosen't punch holes, it just 'attaches' the bottom layer to the top surface.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• cazzy
    hotwheels said:

I just bought a "Pizza Dough Docker" from Amazon for less than $10, and supposedly that keeps the dough from forming large bubbles. It dosen't punch holes, it just 'attaches' the bottom layer to the top surface.

We used dockers when I made pies as a kid. I have made tons of homemade pies, and have never had a problem with bubbles. Initially I thought I would, but that hasn't been the case. Prolly because the way I press them out.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I had a Baking Steel type thingy fabbed. From some initial experiments of my own, and form others on here, the steel seems to work best in the 500ish range. I tried caputo 00 flour once and was not too happy with the resutls, but was told that it likes higher heat than what I usually do pizzas at (600ish). So the steel may not best suited for caputo00 pies?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Might be glad I didn't get one for the egg...
  • cazzy
    edited July 2013
    Might be glad I didn't get one for the egg...
    Even if it doesn't work for pizza, it's a kick ass flat top!