Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Attack of Jalepeños

Options
Went out this morning to water the grass, checked in on my the jalapeno plants planted three of them, and some time in the night, something came and cut or bite two of the three plants, looks like a clean cut, wondering what animals would be attracted to them, squirrels?? The third plant is cut off to but the stock is hanging by a thread. Dang they were just starting to take off. Will have to get some more. Anybody had similar experience?? 
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Rabbits and squirrels will attack just about nothing. 2 weeks ago squirrels destroyed 2 brand new adirondack chairs and a table on my deck. There are fewer squirrels by about 2 dozen in the neighborhood now. Doing a big landscape project in the next couple weeks - gotta start working on the rabbits pretty soon...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Rabbits got 2 of my 4 pepper plants.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited June 2013
    Options
    For once I feel lucky-here in the land of Kentucky Jelly the foragers have not messed with my jala or habenero plants-the jala has gone into over-drive cranking out peppers; habeneros are in the wimp category right now...hopefully that will change.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    Options
    I would almost guarantee a rabbit!  Those wascally things!  I had some habanero plants and they would eat the peppers right off the bush!  I can't imagine the results of that the next day on the poor little guys! HAHAHAHAHA Hope they didn't get an orange one!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I feel your frustration.  This year something has been after my pepper plants.  Out of a dozen, only 2 are where they should be size wise and just 1 has fruit on it.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I lost some peppers the same way. All I could think was the shock when the bird bit into the jalepeno!! It was either a bird or neighbors kid because I had a fence around my garden.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Time to get a cat. Like @nolaegghead says, they are ruthless killing machines. Plus, they will present you with their "prize" that you can then egg, if you are into that sort of thing. They will like already be eviscerated and may have a certain level of spiciness to them. Good eats! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bugs will do the same thing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Look for the rabbit or squirrel in your neighborhood with explosive diarrhea.  Prolly the culprit.
    Too Funny!
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    This guy has been cruising around my plants lately at dark, not sure if he's eating them tho. He did in fact grab a chipmunk that was close by:
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    This guy has been cruising around my plants lately at dark, not sure if he's eating them tho. He did in fact grab a chipmunk that was close by:
    Good Guy Owl is eating the things that eat your plants. Like Alvin.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    @Mickey My case is probably bugs.  I'm not a fan of most bug sprays near food.  Just tried a new one that uses sesame oil as the active ingredient.

I have a hound that helps keep the rabbit population under control.  Unlike @Eggcelsior 's  cat, my dog considers her catch to be an in-between meal snack.  My prior dog showed better respect and brought the offering to us.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Big green tomato worms (horn worms) will chew one up over nite.

Little Rock, AR