Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket replaced on top n botom..... But

Options
Just replaced my top and bottom of my large with a rutland gasket, as I used the supper 77 spray adheasive.  My question is  would it be ok to rub at least the top and the bottom of the gasket with some cooking oil to seal in any loose fibers that I saw a lot of flying around in the sun beams as I was installing it.  Just as a safety measure. I did take my shop vac and go over the entire gasket to suck up and dust or starglers, But I thought of rubbing them with a olive or some sort of oil to seal em      Thanks for your replies     David  in Spring Hill Fl

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hit it with a torch. Gently. Also, good luck with the 77. When it fails, get some permatex ultra copper and start over. :)

Don't rub them with oil!!! Anything and everything will stick to it and the gasket will be filthy in no time. Until it catches fire. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Bushgator said:
    Just replaced my top and bottom of my large with a rutland gasket, as I used the supper 77 spray adheasive.  My question is  would it be ok to rub at least the top and the bottom of the gasket with some cooking oil to seal in any loose fibers that I saw a lot of flying around in the sun beams as I was installing it.  Just as a safety measure. I did take my shop vac and go over the entire gasket to suck up and dust or starglers, But I thought of rubbing them with a olive or some sort of oil to seal em      Thanks for your replies     David  in Spring Hill Fl
    The few fibers that you might see aren't going to hurt anything or anybody.  I wouldn't worry about it.

The Naked Whiz
  • thebaron
    thebaron Posts: 23
    Options
    Does the Rutland gasket cover the full width of the egg or is it narrower like a typical wood stove gasket?
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Options
    mine covers the full width of the rim.