Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st brisket...came out real mediocre?

ok did a lot of reading before I gave this a try...I picked up a 4lb trimmed brisket at HEB to give it a go. Got the egg stable at 250 grate temp bc I use a maverick that is how I know. 

Put it on at 2pm and wrapped when it hit 170 internal....then I let it hit 190 internal which was around 8pm. Then i let it rest in a cooler for an hour. 

The end product had great flavor and smoke ring but was really chewy!!!!

Where did I go wrong? Anybody
·

Comments

• "4lb trimmed brisket" = non-starter.. Would need to see trimmed pics to discern the rest. Chewy brisket is either under done or sliced wrong (with the grain).

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    +1 on cut with the grain... especially if that skewer went in and out real smooth before you pulled it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • ArbucklejArbucklej Posts: 90
    What do you mean by nonstarter..here are some pics if that helps
    image.jpg 2.2M
    image.jpg 2.2M
    image.jpg 2.3M
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,496
    Remember this-we are our worst critics-that said, sounds like a "flat" cook and they are quite the challenge to hit the home-run.  But it's all about the journey so if the answer to your ? is not obvious then just "do it again" and change it up a bit and see what that yields. 
    Louisville
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,666
    Undercooked more than likely if chewy. My overcooked flat was pulling , pick your poison if you miss I guess.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    I haven't had great luck with small briskets, I like to do a packer brisket of at least 8-9 lbs.  But I agree with the others that say it sounds like it wasn't done enough.  I rely on the probe test but typically my briskets are approaching 200f when the probe goes in like butter. 
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 269
    Yes most likely under cooked, did you do the probe test, easy in and easy out almost like butter?  last brisket I did was 205 and above and it was tender and moist.  Also small flats are really hard to cook.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
    ·
    yeah i am thinking I undercooked...next time I will get a bigger piece also. Anyone know how big of piece a med egg can handle?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,496
    @Arbucklej-Don't know about brisket volume but you can always elevate in over a rib rack or brick or...you get the idea, til it shrinks up to then lay flat.  I have seen a full packer done on a SBGE using the aforementioned techniques.  So, bottom-line get a good packer and let it rip!  No personal experience as I have a LBGE and can't find a packer-I'm in the flat camp.
    Louisville
    ·
  • aemaem Posts: 115
    Elevating the middle of a larger packer over a ball of foil also works.  Learned that trick from the Weber Smokey Mountain crowd.
    ·
    gonna give it a go soon..probably will hit up my local butcher as he will do whatever I ask...will keep everyone updated
    ·