Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

17 hours and still going...

Put a 10 lb brisket on at 9 PM last night. Started it a 235 dome, but lost heat in the 6 hours that I slept. It had dropped to about 180, but still had some hot lump burning. I bumped it back up when I woke up. Currently running at 275 with internal meat temp at 172. I've been told that patience is what's needed when you cook one of these. Plan to let it go until I hit 200 internal, even if it takes the rest of the day to get there. When it hits 200, will open the lid to check it out with a probe. I have not opened the lid for the past 17 hrs. Again, patience grasshopper, patience.
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 715
    Check it at 195. You aren't going to hurt anything at this point if you pop the lid open. You could kick it up to 250 -275 dome and not hurt anything as well.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,389
    Thanks. I'll do that.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,555
    Sounds like you have a good plan and everything under control.  Can't wait to see pics of the finished product.  A good brisket is like no other.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's resting now, so photos will happen later tonight. It went 20 hours for a 10 pounder. Longer than I thought. It looked good and juicy. Smelled awesome.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    Right on - sounds like a winner.
    Centennial, CO
    Well, it was my first one. It tasted real good but the flat was rather dry, so I couldn't cut it thin. The point was outstanding and will make great chopped beef sandwiches. Need to try a different approach next time. imageimageimageimage
    image.jpg 523.3K
    image.jpg 441.6K
    image.jpg 482K
    Dave - Austin, TX
    I've salvaged a dry flat by chopping the meat and saucing it lightly...makes for great sammiches.
    Centennial, CO
  • ArbucklejArbucklej Posts: 90
    beautiful smoke ring my recent adventures in brisket have left me wanting to say the least...but if you want to salvage a cook chopped beef with your preference of sauce makes great food
  • Do the experts judge that as a fairly lean flat?

It looks tasty to me. Did you cook fat side up or down?

Do the experts judge that as a fairly lean flat?

It looks tasty to me. Did you cook fat side up or down?

fat side down. It was good tasting, just a little on the drier side. Bark was awesome.
    Dave - Austin, TX