Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Brisket

13 pound brisket went on to the Egg at 9 Saturday evening with the dome at 250.  Got up this morning, temp fell to 235 and adjusted back to 250.  Finished up at 2:30 this afternoon internal temp was 195.  Tested multiple points with the probe...soft as butter.  Went to the cooler for 3 1/2 hours, dinner at 6.  Brisket came out pretty well, decent smoke, tender and moist.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Apologies for the duplicate pic
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good. I'd eat that.
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Looks like money!!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Sorry for the newb question ... never made a brisket before .. why put it in the cooler? Also when you serve do you warm it after you take it out of the cooler?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Vetteman
    Vetteman Posts: 19
    Looks awesome!!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited July 2013
    Okay found the answer ... it is just sticking in a cooler box without any ice :-) .. so basically the hot brisket stays hot in an aluminum foil.

Here's the answer I found:
    Coolering the brisket just allows it to continue cook under its own heat loads without the risk of drying it out with higher temps. A 180 degree brisket will hold 180 for a few hours and continue to break down, whereas continuing to cook at 220 aids in drying out before its done tenderizing. 

The term "Coolering", as used often, is a technique used to hold a temperature until ready to be served.. There is no ice involved as would be in "cooling" to bring a temperature down to a desired level... Just using the insulation of a cooler to retain heat given off by the cooked meat in the cooler.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Well done
    Seattle, WA
  • Tjcoley
    fljoemon said:
    Sorry for the newb question ... never made a brisket before .. why put it in the cooler? Also when you serve do you warm it after you take it out of the cooler?

It actually goes into the cooler to keep it hot. You can pre warm the cooler with hot water, dump it out and dry it. Wrap the meat (also works for pulled pork) in heavy duty foil, pack it in towels and place it in the cooler to keep it hot. It will stay hot for hours, so if done early, you can keep it until ready to eat. You will see references to FTC - Foil, Towel, Cooler. Used in catering as a faux cambro to keep meet hot until ready to serve.
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Tjcoley said:
    fljoemon said:

It actually goes into the cooler to keep it hot. You can pre warm the cooler with hot water, dump it out and dry it. Wrap the meat (also works for pulled pork) in heavy duty foil, pack it in towels and place it in the cooler to keep it hot. It will stay hot for hours, so if done early, you can keep it until ready to eat. You will see references to FTC - Foil, Towel, Cooler. Used in catering as a faux cambro to keep meet hot until ready to serve.
    Wouldn't doing FTC leave you with a soft soggy bark?
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I did one today too and yours looks much better. Did you monitor the temp in the flat? Any other tricks for keeping it so moist?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Tjcoley
    NJ_BBQ said:
    Tjcoley said:
    fljoemon said:

Wouldn't doing FTC leave you with a soft soggy bark?
    You may sacrifice some bark, however, if done earlier than planned, it's a great way to keep it until ready.  I've FTC'd a brisket for 5 hours, and still had great bark.  
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    @Terrebandit, no I only have a single probe inserted in thickest part of the brisket. Part of it is luck of the draw with the piece of meat. I think the quality of my brisket cooks has improved with my improved contol of the temp...on the overnite part of the cook, only lost 15 degrees, otherwise pegged at 250.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Fantastic looking brisket!! I just picked one up from Tom Thumb yesterday. Prices were down to $1.49 a lb (due to 4th coming up). Got a $10 off coupon on checkout, gonna go back and get another one today (will probably come out to $6 after the coupon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    @Terrebandit, no I only have a single probe inserted in thickest part of the brisket. Part of it is luck of the draw with the piece of meat. I think the quality of my brisket cooks has improved with my improved contol of the temp...on the overnite part of the cook, only lost 15 degrees, otherwise pegged at 250.

thanks for that tip. Mine seems to hold pretty steady at 265, so I night take a run at that next time.
    Dave - Austin, TX