Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Moink balls?

So tomorrow is Canada Day and after such a successful pizza cook a few friends are coming over and I have the stuff for moink balls.
Now usually moink balls are made from pre-cooked frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon BUT I have ground beef.
So how do I do this , do I make the meat balls cook em and wrap em in bacon or cook both the meatballs and bacon and cook them indirect at the same time?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 811
    I've always done them with the frozen meatballs from the store and they turn out great.one of the simplest yet most consistently raved about apps I've made.

I guess if I only had ground beef available I'd cook the meatballs first, let them cool, then wrap and grill to cook bacon.

Good luck, have fun, throw us a pic when done.

Cheers-
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • 500500 Posts: 1,249
    I've only made them from frozen as well but I would say make up the meatballs with the ingredients that you would put in a meatloaf then make meatballs out of that mix then wrap with bacon sprinkle with BBQ rub and grill and sauce as usual.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,490
    Ya i'm unsure about the precook part I mean the bacon will need 45 min to an hour to cook indirect so the meatballs raw should cook from there as well right...no need to precook the meatballs?

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 811
    My only worry with not pre cooking would be getting them to hold together. I certainly can't say the other way wouldn't work, might be awesome, but I usually don't get too crazy the first time I try something new...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,490
    So whats a good temp to cook these indirct...350 or lower???

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,610
    I usually cook them in the 280-300 range and use frozen (partially thawed as pushing a skewer or toothpick through a fully frozen meatball is not fun). You can cook them at higher temps as long as the rub and/or sauce you're using doesn't burn at higher temps. I have seen folks cook homemade meatballs (approx 1/2 oz each) without precooking them. Could turn out just fine as the pre cooked ones tend to be pretty overcooked by the time the bacon crisps up.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA