Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much drinking.. So I'm gonna say it

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Say what you feel. Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

I'm shocked that 3 weeks in on our OBR drive were barely over 3k. As I browse the "what's your occupation" thread I see, as I expected that this isn't a financially needy group. For the most part eggers aren't poor.

I realize in this economy folks don't have a whole lot of extra cash flow. I myself am pretty tight right now. Due to major expansion I'm overhead poor at the moment.

I've been told... Number one not to express my thoughts and that our forum isn't that big. Several beers and a few Woodfords in... I'll go ahead.

I've seen the generosity of the folks on the forum. Group buys and sauce exchanges.. It befuddled me that we're where we are. If we only have 100 people on the forum... At $100 per that's $10k. I realize that everyone can't do that but there are those that can drop $500 and never miss it. A cookless weekend, a bottle of fine wine or scotch, etc..

When i contacted the guys at OBR I explained how generous and giving we are...

I'm not sure why but feel we could do so much better. This is a great organization and this forum is full of great people.

Let me have it. Sober in the morning I'll probably regret posting this but I'll worry about it tomorrow. Another Woodford now.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    + 100%

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Ya cheep bastids !!!  I'm drunk too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've had the same thoughts. Not sure how I feel about it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I donated.  If I was Bill Gates, as a proportion of my net worth it would have been like $100 million. 

Cough it up peeps! 

After Katrina, I was tooling about around town and I'd run into a red cross food van every now and then.  Big pots of boiling oil and the fried chicken tasted like the best thing I'd ever eaten - food of the gods.  Of course, we were living off canned food and MREs, so we had pretty low standards.  So give it up bitches.
    Addendum... Thanks to all that have given. I know several that have donated above their means... A few times. It's about the guys doing volunteer work for victims.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Okay, I'll bite.
    I became agnostic a few years ago, but I continue to "tithe", but to charities rather than organized religion.  I already have my chosen charities.  And I think I probably speak for a few folks here, who are in the same boat.  
    Its admirable what you're doing, but to chastise a bunch of folks whose situation you only know a little bit about, well, I don't feel is right.  
    For what its worth. 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I commend you @Botch for "tithing". Most confessed agnostics do not. As you may have guessed, I tithe to my church.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I commend you @Botch for "tithing". Most confessed agnostics do not. As you may have guessed, I tithe to my church.

At the risk of sounding like an ass, most "confessed Christians" don't either. WTF is a "confessed agnostic"?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Henapple has been experiencing quite a bit of trepidation for several weeks over how to address the lack of donating. I've talked with him and several others and I think we all understand that many already give elsewhere. We understand that many don't have much free income. 

The problem is that when you look at the grid extender buy, it's hard to believe that many more of us have a few bucks to donate. 

@Botch I'm sure you can see that it's disappointing to have such a paltry sum given. 

Plus, he said he was drunk. That means a free pass, right?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • "Plus, he said he was drunk. That means a free pass, right?"............yes
  • i have no idea what OBR drive is. and i am not drunk.
    does O stand for oklahoma? serious question. is there a link that is stickied somewhere?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2013
    My favorite thing about organized religion is their help with the poor and needy.  However if they were purely altruistic organizations, they'd receive pretty poor marks because most of the money collected goes to the brick and mortar infrastructure of the meeting halls/collection zones (aka churches) and the administrative overhead of the organization.  So probably a few cents of every dollar goes to helping the needy.   Sadly, much money has been spent "educating" people such as preaching abstinence programs in third world countries rather than what's actually effective, such as education on disease prevention.  Countless people have died needlessly because fine people like you and I's money was spent for ideological reasons that ironically circumvent the actual goals of altruism.  Anyway, everyone has free will, and I applaud the altruistic ideology driving all non-profits.

Operation Barbecue Relief. Great group. http://operationbbqrelief.org/
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    i have no idea what OBR drive is. and i am not drunk.
    does O stand for oklahoma? serious question. is there a link that is stickied somewhere?

Henapple has set up a link to the OBR that shows our donation support: http://www.stayclassy.org/events/big-green-egg-forum-friends-give-back/e25433

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I fully admit i haven't donated here but its because i had already donated to them twice directly since the OK tornadoes. This was before I saw the effort on here. I think OBR is a great organization and highly encourage everyone to participate.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • dlk7

Plus there are a ton of incentives that have been set up for donations:

We have arranged a BGE eggcessory raffle. For each $25 donated one ticket will be thrown in the pot. $50 - 2 tickets, $500-20 tickets and so on. All previous donations will apply.

1st place
    $100 Ceramic Grill Works gift certificate
    Grid extender
    Baking steel... Your size choice.
    Amazing Smoker
    Two Dickies shirts.. Competition bbq style

1st runner up
    Grid extender
    $50 amazon gift card

2nd runner up
    Grid extender

Names will be drawn by OBR and passed on to me so donation amounts remain confidential. Prizes will be shipped separately. Drawing after July 25th.

We have done well and can continue to add to our gift for disaster victims. Thanks to those that have donated and to those that are going to. We have an opportunity to really help a great organization which helps people.

Special thanks to the sponsors :
    Ceramic Grill Store
    Baking Steel
    Outdoor Bbq Extras
    Amazing smoker products
    Dickies (centex)

Please consider the plight of the folks OBR helps and how our gift can help this 100% donation run charity group. We are an incredibly blessed group of eggers... Let's be a blessing to those in need. Let's show our generosity to OBR as we do to each other.

Waunakee, WI

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2013
  • drmindbender
    drmindbender Posts: 12
    edited June 2013
    I read this forum often. and I really like it. Like many, I have learned a ton. 

But when i come on, and click on "Egghead Forum", I dont see the OBR topics. 

I never even thought about reading the OT stuff. I actually mistakenly thought the main forum had all the topics, just in an unorganized fashion.

I wonder if the topic doesnt need a "sticky" on the main forum.

eta: when i come on to eggheadforum.com, this current topic is viewable. nothing regarding OBR is seen. when I click on off topic, then I can see this thread and the OBR threads. I'm just complaining that the organization of this forum can be better and admit I was a little ticked off that the OP was disappointed in the lack of generosity when I bet alot of people dont read the other sub-forums.

and to be clear, I am not upset with the OP. I think he's a good guy.
  • I read this forum often. and I really like it. Like many, I have learned a ton. 

But when i come on, and click on "Egghead Forum", I dont see the OBR topics. 

I never even thought about reading the OT stuff. I actually mistakenly thought the main forum had all the topics, just in an unorganized fashion.

I wonder if the topic doesnt need a "sticky" on the main forum.

eta: when i come on to eggheadforum.com, this current topic is viewable. nothing regarding OBR is seen. when I click on off topic, then I can see this thread and the OBR threads. I'm just complaining that the organization of this forum can be better and admit I was a little ticked off that the OP was disappointed in the lack of generosity when I bet alot of people dont read the other sub-forums.

and to be clear, I am not upset with the OP. I think he's a good guy.

I just always click on "recent discussions" and it covers everything.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    henapple.  Drunk or not thank you for this post.  I have never seen anything about this before, or anything about OBR.  I have donated quite a bit of money to different organizations before, but I am willing to send more.  

We are used to major Tornadoes in North Alabama where I live, and Hurricanes in South Alabama.  One thing that I noticed after the April 27th Tornadoes is all of the organizations from Oklahoma that had come down to Alabama to help.  Many churches and disaster relief organizations.  Those people know how to help people.

I have also joined the site and the email list.  It looks like something that I would enjoy being involved with.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    You seem to discount the possibility that folks have donated/given through other organizations and in other ways... There's plenty of folks in need of help, and many that use this forum may chose to donate through other avenues.
  • dlk7
    I don't believe anyone is discounting anything or anybody.  Tithing is good, other charities are good, and no one is saying you have to donate.  It's not like anyone knows who does or doesn't donate. I'm not sure why anyone is pushing back on the request for help for this great group.  If you don't want to donate because you give elsewhere or have other reasons, then don't support this group or feel like you are being singled out.  Some of us were just very surprised that so little was donated since the link was set up.  If you have the ability to help this group, please do. If you don't, God Bless You.

Waunakee, WI

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'm pretty sober, so just pretend i'm drunk.    8-}

I'd be lying if I didn't say I expected more, especially after the raffle went live.  A lil bit of a let down, but either way, OBR is going to be gracious for whatever we give them.  You can buy a lot of pork with $3,100 so thanks to everyone that donated so far...even the confessed Christians!   :P   

Don't forget though, there is still a lot of good sh!t to be had, so get your name into the hat for just $25.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Botch in no way chastising anyone.
    @spaightlabs. I have no doubt that members give to other causes.
    @nolaegghead... Couldn't agree more.

I know OBR will be thrilled with whatever gift we donate.

@fredflinstone.. See @nolaegghead comments

Just merely thinking out loud.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i havent donated to anything in the last 17 months except for the kid wearing a sports uniform in front of the supermarket. pretty much completely discouraged with the system. 17 months ago my brother was hit head on by a fool driving 130 mph down a back road at night, took out both ankles, medical bills are climbing over 300,000. where is social security at this point in time, rescheduling hearings so lawyers can get involved and take a third, where is the money from car insurance, 2 policies and a 100 k just being held back til they see what happens, is there anyone in jail yet, well no, that is still going in appeal after appeal. will the judge order payments from the defended, well no, feels that should be settled in a one on one lawsuit so the defendent can claim bankruptcy if he feels he has too. last months operation had 28 pins removed, walks one day, out for 3. will the state help his children, well not til social security makes a decision. i probably get 15 to 20 calls a week for donations, pretty much desensitized to it by now, actually get cranky about it.  not the best place to be, but someday ill snap out of it. sad thing is that if my brother was a drunk, ssdi would have covered his back by now. henaple, what your doing is a great thing, im just not there right now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    I think a lot has to do with people not seeing the donation post.. I know personally I was looking forward to it when we were first discussing the idea but when the actual post was made directing us to the donation site I totally missed it and it wasn't until a week later that it had been bumped at the right time for me to see it and go ahead and donate.

I don't know if this is possible but in the future I wonder if the admins would let us sticky a post like this at the top of the main page for a month.

Also, there are a lot of circumstances that would prevent someone from being unable or unmotivated to donate.  This forum in general serves a very specific purpose for most people so when it comes time to buy BBQ accessories and there's a group buy or something going on here there aren't any alternatives if you want to get in on a deal.  There are, however, a vast number of charities and avenues to donate to them.  

Group donations like this are a great idea but I think we should learn from this and set our expectations for the future accordingly.
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    "The best gifts are the ones given without public knowledge". Just because people don't spout off on a public forum how much they "gave" doesn't mean they didn't participate. I gave to OBR and my niece was directly impacted by the tornadoes in OK. Just because a person's name or "handle" doesn't show up on a post count doesn't mean they didn't give or help. To think otherwise is ignorant. I been drinking too, but I know what I am posting. I cook a lot, but don't post many pictures. I cook BBQ, who wants to see another picture of a rack of ribs or a brisket? I also have two Eggs now, who wants to see a picture of another Medium BGE? The Egghead forum is not the "end all be all" of the world, some people have actual real lives and cant make 10K posts on an internet forum. That said, I will have another.
  • Plano_JJ said:
    "The best gifts are the ones given without public knowledge". Just because people don't spout off on a public forum how much they "gave" doesn't mean they didn't participate. I gave to OBR and my niece was directly impacted by the tornadoes in OK. Just because a person's name or "handle" doesn't show up on a post count doesn't mean they didn't give or help. To think otherwise is ignorant. I been drinking too, but I know what I am posting. I cook a lot, but don't post many pictures. I cook BBQ, who wants to see another picture of a rack of ribs or a brisket? I also have two Eggs now, who wants to see a picture of another Medium BGE? The Egghead forum is not the "end all be all" of the world, some people have actual real lives and cant make 10K posts on an internet forum. That said, I will have another.

You are sooooooo right. Those dooshers with high post counts wear me out. Losers with no real lives. Lets all get @littlesteven out of here :))
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

I'm a little surprised by the low donations as well. I'm a newbie here so I won’t pretend to know anyone’s situations but I’m guessing most of us are in the upper 51% who actually pay taxes. :D   I’ll donate again tomorrow when the credit card numbers are not so blurry. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> :D

North Texas

XL and Small BGE