Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

California Ribs

Our butcher had something called California ribs. I've never heard of it or seen it.

Anyone have any experience?

By the way, I'm in Virginia.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I'm in Cali & I never heard of them.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    You sure that it isn't tofu? Sounds like 'field roast'...
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    You sure that it isn't tofu? Sounds like 'field roast'...
    Funny... as I was reading the OP I thought the same thing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Our butcher had something called California ribs. I've never heard of it or seen it.

I don't know what they are But I bet they are 40% more expensive than "normal" ribs :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hokiejacket
    Hokiejacket Posts: 154
    Wasn't Tofo. Kind of looked like Country Style ribs but they had those in another case.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Never heard of it. Describe the cut.

One of the butcher shops around here sells what they call "country ribs," which appears to be made by cutting away the back bone, and leaving enough loin (?) meat to connect two small back rib sections. Personally, I'd've called 'em handlebar ribs.

The first pseudo-ribs were called "Western" ribs. Just a slice of butt w. a bone section. "Country" ribs came next, being butt w. no bone. Now that chops are going to be called by beef steak names, who knows what the label means.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662

Nice username. Are you close to bburg?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    If it is a rack of flat ribs with a thick portion of meat and fat hanging off one end, that is the belly. That can be cool, but I've never heard it referred to as such.

If is a blade bone like country ribs, they could be trying to differentiate where along the blade they are cut from.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    We have those out here in California but we call them Virginia ribs.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser