Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Calibrating Dome Thermometer

I've seen a lot of mention of this. How do you do it?
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Take out the thermo, throw away the clip. Boil some water and insert the tip of the thermo, not touching sides of pot. If it doesn't read 212 (100 C) use a pair of pliers to hold the nut on the back and rotate the dial til it reads correctly.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,694
    Put it boiling water and make sure it lands on 100C. Turn the nut the way you need it to get it to be accurate. You need a 5/8 wrench if you need to adjust it.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,827
    212 is actually specifically at sea level, Google your location to see the real temperate fit your specific location. especially if you're in a mountainous region.
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 643
    Hadn't done this in a while and finally had chance to test today. Good thing I did. It was showing about 160 F. No wonder things seemed to be cooking faster than expected.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,516
    And depending on how much you use your Egg, I'd calibrate it probably once every 10 cooks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,827

And depending on how much you use your Egg, I'd calibrate it probably once every 10 cooks.

I think that is way overboard, but it is personal preference. I had no fluctuation after a year. I personally won't be checking that frequently.
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    Just make sure you do it once in a while. Period.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·