Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bread first try

Options
I have had my LBGE for three weeks. I have been trying cooks that would be next to impossible on my Weber.  Made my first attempt at artisan bread today.  Had trouble holding temperature while trying not to let steam out.  Other than that, it turned out nice and crunchy on the outside and very moist on the inside.  I am going to be bigger than a barn because of the egg. :) 
When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice work on my list to do.
    Seattle, WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am about to try some bread this week too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yeah, never expected to become a baker when I bought my Egg.

My bread turns out better in the Egg than from my oven. Better spring, crisper crust. Other than spraying water on the loaf, I haven't tried to introduce any extra steam. I suspect that just as the Egg keeps meats moister, the bread surface doesn't dry out as fast as in the oven.

FWIW, last Christmas, I bought a ceramic cloche for oven use. That did beat the Egg, tho' no subtle smoke flavor. An even smaller ceramic volume to hold in the moisture

Oh, and that's 1 big peel you have there. Kinda industrial size.

Remember, just because you have a whole rack of eggcellent ribs doesn't mean you have to eat them all at once.
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    I made the peel from a flat cookie sheet.  Not the prettiest, but it's functional.  Haha!
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I have had my LBGE for three weeks. I have been trying cooks that would be next to impossible on my Weber.  Made my first attempt at artisan bread today.  Had trouble holding temperature while trying not to let steam out.  Other than that, it turned out nice and crunchy on the outside and very moist on the inside.  I am going to be bigger than a barn because of the egg. :) 
    Start a regular exercise routine now!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    When I bake bread it goes on at 450 and I place a stainless steel mixing bowl over the loaf. I let it bake like that for 30 min then pull the bowl off give the loaf a spin and let is brown for another 30 min. This has been full proof for me. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    DMurf said:
    When I bake bread it goes on at 450 and I place a stainless steel mixing bowl over the loaf. I let it bake like that for 30 min then pull the bowl off give the loaf a spin and let is brown for another 30 min. This has been full proof for me. 
    Interesting.  I am guessing you don't get a hint of smokiness though.  Right? 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Barn? I am turning into a Walmart distribution center with my two Eggs.  Your bread looks wonderful.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    My first today too.
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    sharhamm said:
    My first today too.
    Nice work!  Did you use steam at all?
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    I have a small metal tapas pan that I put three ice cubes in the same time that I put in the bread..  The bread on the left I cooked in the oven and the one on the right cooked in BGE.  The BGE bread had a nicer crust and better flavor.  I only have a medium so I am limited on several loaves.  Perhaps next time a boulle shape would be a better choice for my stone.  How about you.  Any steam?
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    I tried steam, but had trouble keeping temperature so I had to open the vent steam escapes.