Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen or non-frozen?

Options

What does everyone think about buying beef ribs and freezing them for a week?  The last few Foodsavered steaks I've done on the egg were removed at 130 and they looked gray.  Taste was ok.  Even though the thermapen (next to the egg the best purchase I've made in a while) said it was medium rare.  We were thinking we got a bad batch of steaks.

I just dont want to freeze some beef ribs and have the same problem. 

Thanks,  Kid

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I never freeze anything I don't absolutely have to. Foodsaver and fridge should be good for most thing inside a week. Just make sure to cook to a safe temp after storage. Purely my opinion.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Are you searing your steaks at a high  temp when you cook them?  Some people sear them first and others sear them afterwards.  I regularly cook meat that has been frozen (I thaw it first) and they cook and taste fine. I'd prefer only cooking fresh meat but that isn't possible.  I always have a rack or 2 of beef ribs in the freezer and have never had a problem cooking them after they were thawed.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I freeze ribs all the time. In fact I just bought 6 packages on sale on Friday and they are in the freezer now. I just toss them in the freezer "as is". I've never noticed any issues with flavor or quality although, I will try to get these eaten up in the next 4-6 weeks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.