Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza questions?

Good day all.....today I am going to try pizza on the BGE for the first time.Making my own sauce and the Martha Stewart dough.

My set-up will be 13" stone down on spider and 14" pizza stone on the adj rig extender high in the dome.

I was wondering what you all do between pizza's do you wipe with a wet cloth to cool the stone down or is this necessary? Secondly I was thinking 550-600 degrees is this a good temp....too hot? Lastly how long should they take and do you rotate them? I am using parchement paper on the stone also.

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I usually cook around 450 but 500 works to, unless I was doing neopolitan I'd keep the temp closer to that (500).  No need to wipe or cool stone down between pies, you want it hot.  You may want to remove the paper 4-5 mins into the cook, up to you I sometime do and then don't other times, not a huge difference.  Depending on topping, pies near 500 can go 8-12 minutes.  I usually do not rotate.  I use a flashlight and peer into the top chimney, don't put your face directly over it, to see how it is cooking and help me decide if I need to rotate.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i do mine between 500/550 removing the parchment paper after about two minutes and turning the pie on my stone until its cooked i never really timed it (maybe between 8 to 12 minutes i'll have to time it next week to be certain) i just go by how the cheese is melted and the underside looks . also i have found that lighting the top of the lump completely rather than a few spots works better for me i use a torch to light my lump so its pretty easy to light the top layer 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The key is to be consistent with your pies. I found my crust was cooking to fast so I cool my stone, in fact I target for a stone temp of about 350 when I put my pie in, dome is 500-550. Unless your previous cook was higher temp, you might want to wipe the stone anyway to get the crud that fell off the hot dome. 
    See how your first pie goes, if the crust is cooked before the top, cool the stone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Thanks i'll keep y'all posted on how it goes:)

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I would guess that if you put cool water on a hot stone you might crack it...just a hypothesis though.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    On thicker topped pies, I broil for a little while in the oven and then finish on the egg. This way the top and crust are finished together.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • CANMAN1976
    I would guess that if you put cool water on a hot stone you might crack it...just a hypothesis though.
    Maybe, this wasn't my idea.I read it on here awhile back in some thread? Probably won't be doing that now that i think about it.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Maybe, this wasn't my idea.I read it on here awhile back in some thread? Probably won't be doing that now that i think about it.
    No... do not use water to cool the stone. I am not sure why the stone would need to be cooled anyway... I've never cooled mine between pies. If you think it's absolutely necessary the only way to (safely) do it is to take it out of the egg and let it air. But, I am not sure how you're going to know what the temp of the stone is (unless you have an ir thermo) and, therefore, how much it might need to be cooled.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    First things first the thermometer hits the stone because its so high on the rig ext, so I did this.

Shouldn't effect its accuracy right????

• Skiddymarker
    You are right, if you put water on a hot stone, it could break. Wipe the stone with a damp cloth, not wet, damp. no different than hitting it with a full load of wet dough (some don't use parchment)
    If doing multiple pies, my stone will get too hot (at least with my dough and topping mixture) so I cool it. 
    My stone is a <$10 from Kitchen Collection. cooked maybe a hundred pies. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    First things first the thermometer hits the stone because its so high on the rig ext, so I did this.

Shouldn't effect its accuracy right????

No, it will be fine. 
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Yes I raise my thermometer some as well, it will work.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • CANMAN1976
    Ok as a young kid I used to lie in my bed as my Dad and company watched hockey night in Canada and ordered Venice pizzeria,it was honestly the best smelling and tasting pizza I can remember.(I had some yes).

I have waited and tried many takeout pizzas and none reminded or tasted like those did some 25 yrs ago until today.Honestly best pizza I ever had and the house smells so good too!!

And yes I love my egg!!

• Atta boy. Now you know.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • And princess cups to boot. Nice touch :).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CANMAN1976
    Wife is doing Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies on the egg now for desert...its still hot!!!
    :D