Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket...came out real mediocre?

ok did a lot of reading before I gave this a try...I picked up a 4lb trimmed brisket at HEB to give it a go. Got the egg stable at 250 grate temp bc I use a maverick that is how I know. 

Put it on at 2pm and wrapped when it hit 170 internal....then I let it hit 190 internal which was around 8pm. Then i let it rest in a cooler for an hour. 

The end product had great flavor and smoke ring but was really chewy!!!!

Where did I go wrong? Anybody

Comments

• "4lb trimmed brisket" = non-starter.. Would need to see trimmed pics to discern the rest. Chewy brisket is either under done or sliced wrong (with the grain).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    +1 on cut with the grain... especially if that skewer went in and out real smooth before you pulled it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    What do you mean by nonstarter..here are some pics if that helps
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Remember this-we are our worst critics-that said, sounds like a "flat" cook and they are quite the challenge to hit the home-run.  But it's all about the journey so if the answer to your ? is not obvious then just "do it again" and change it up a bit and see what that yields. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Undercooked more than likely if chewy. My overcooked flat was pulling , pick your poison if you miss I guess.
    Seattle, WA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I haven't had great luck with small briskets, I like to do a packer brisket of at least 8-9 lbs.  But I agree with the others that say it sounds like it wasn't done enough.  I rely on the probe test but typically my briskets are approaching 200f when the probe goes in like butter. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Yes most likely under cooked, did you do the probe test, easy in and easy out almost like butter?  last brisket I did was 205 and above and it was tender and moist.  Also small flats are really hard to cook.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Arbucklej
    yeah i am thinking I undercooked...next time I will get a bigger piece also. Anyone know how big of piece a med egg can handle?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Arbucklej-Don't know about brisket volume but you can always elevate in over a rib rack or brick or...you get the idea, til it shrinks up to then lay flat.  I have seen a full packer done on a SBGE using the aforementioned techniques.  So, bottom-line get a good packer and let it rip!  No personal experience as I have a LBGE and can't find a packer-I'm in the flat camp.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Elevating the middle of a larger packer over a ball of foil also works.  Learned that trick from the Weber Smokey Mountain crowd.
  • Arbucklej
    gonna give it a go soon..probably will hit up my local butcher as he will do whatever I ask...will keep everyone updated