Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo butt help needed

Options
ok so I screwed up big!!! Today is my birthday and my wife has a beautiful day planned with family and friends coming over for time in the pool and some boston butt. So last night in a pre-game mood I cooked some beautiful filets and some shrimp. Then I had way to many adult beverages and did not put the 17lbs of butt on the grill. So.....here I am at 9:46am with no grill started and no butts cooking. I have never cooked a butt fast, only low and slow. I have seen some posts on turbo but am in desperate need now. can anyone tell me if I have any shot at this or if I should just head to the market and attempt a plan B? thanks as always for the help!
Go Gamecocks!!!
1 XL, 1 MM
Smoking in Aiken South Carolina

Comments

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I'm not a turbo guy but from what I've read you should be able to pull this off.  Low and slow (like normal) until you get to 160 internal, so you can have smoky goodness.  Then foil up tightly and crank up the heat to 350, pull when probe slides like normal.  Good luck!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    If you're really pressed for time, which it sounds like you are, it might cook more quickly cut into 2 or 3 smaller chunks. You'll also get a bit more surface area, one consistent comment about turbo is that the bark is less pronounced than low slow.

Get the fire started and get em goin!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    I just did one yesterday.  350 from the get go.  Rub.  throw on until internal temp of 165.  Double wrap in foil and put back on and they are done in no time. Pull at desired temp.  I am usually around 200.  FTC for an hour and you are done.  I did a 5lb butt in just under 4 hours yesterday and it was fantastic.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Use a drip pan with an air gap. Those butts will sweat and you get bad smoke from the juices burning on your platesetter.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    This is how we did it at the GA Mt. Eggfest :

Turbo Butt or Brisket

By Kim Youngblood (Vidalia1), Jim Legros (Jupiter Jim) 

and Bart Knies (H2O-VP)

Directions :

Prepare butts or brisket with rub of you choice. Set up BGE indirect with Egg at 350-375. Cook meat until internal of meat is 150-160. Usually this takes about 2 1/2 hrs. Double wrap meat in heavy duty aluminum foil and continue cooking meat for approx 1 1/2 hrs until meat temp is approx 200 degrees internal. A thermometer or fork should pierce the meat like going into warm butter. When the meat is done carefully unwrap the meat and drain the juice into a container to be used for later. Refrigerate juice. Rewrap the meat in foil and wrap in a towel and place in a cooler for 1-3 hours.

When you are ready to pull the pork or slice the brisket skim the fat off the juice and reheat the juice. When you are ready to serve, brush meat with juice and serve.

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Thank you all very much! You may have saved the day. I decided to go for it and they are smoking away. I will send pics when done. Thanks again.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina