Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taking ribs to the next level.

I have two slabs of Saint Louis cut spare ribs chillin in the fridge. I have done plenty of slabs low slow (3-2-1) and they have been great, but i am looking for something new. I am looking for a new process, maybe take it to the next level. Any suggestions?
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Fred19Flintstone boils his... not sure if they even hit the egg?  :))

Not sure what the "next level" would be but, you might want to try just a straight cook with no foiling or spritzing. I usually just put some rub on mine and do them indirect at around 250*; takes around 4 hours. I do not sauce them at all.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Agree with my friend from Aurora, dry ribs, the next step. SWMBO likes her ribs overcooked, slathered in sauce. Foil was always part of the cook. St Louis are best done dry, IMO. Lets you really taste the rub, no spritz, no sauce. I plan for five hours (Swift/Costco ribs - btw, membrane attached) egg at 225-250 grid. I still sauce hers for the last 1/2 hour and she is a happy camper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Another one for no foiling.  If you're wrapping, your wrong.  That's been our team philosophy for years now.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Rub, 300 dome for 90 minutes, glaze with honey, double foil 60 minutes, unwrap, 30 minutes smother with sauce... Slap your mom. 300 dome straight through.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    If you're just looking for some diversity, Chinese marinade is fun. Serve with some white rice and stir fry vegetables. Maybe make or grab some pot stickers.

I agree with just putting traditionally prepares ribs on with no foil. That's how these got here ....
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yet another for no foiling. Really, no need. Just give 'em a nice long bath in the smoke, they'll be fine.

2 things I've been doing, well, 2 1/2 I guess.

I noticed some flavors seem to cook away. Instead of saucing at the end, toward the end, last or so, I add a 2nd dusting of rub w. black pepper, paprika, garlic, and a little more sugar. I've noticed that even rubs w. lots of black pepper loose most of their pungency during the cook.

I came across a tip a few years ago mentioning that oil worked well to hold the rub, instead of the standard mustard. I started doing that, and it seemed to me that the moisture retention improved some. After several tries, in stead of spritzing (which I no longer do at all), I brushed a little more oil on towards the end, before the 2nd rub dusting.

The 1/2. A few months ago, I bought some peanut oil at an Asian grocery. It has a distinct roasted peanut aroma. I like the way it goes w. pork, so I use that now for my last oiling. I also have in mind a late baste w. browned butter.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2013

Rocket ribs work for me.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1256954&catid=1

Or you can go oriental:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1238448&catid=1

Char Sui seasonings work great for an oriental rib also. Noh is a great brand, Usually found in Oriental grocery stores.

http://www.nohfoods.com/htdocs/products.htm