Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Ribs & BBQ Baked Beans-Pix Intensive

Options
This cook marked my first attempt at ribs on the Egg. The rib recipe came form the Wicked Good Barbecue cookbook and the name of the recipe tells the story: The Ribs That Won the Jack Daniels World Championship of Barbecue. I was given an autographed copy of this cookbook last August just before I got my first BGE. I was really looking forward to making these ribs, but with the coming of my new Egg I started making recipes from the BGE Cookbook because in addition to good recipes it helped with the setup of the Egg. When I started making recipes from the follow-up Wicked Good Burgers cookbook and saw how great they were, I knew I needed to revisit this recipe ASAP. One of the attractions of this recipe is supposedly nothing was held back. People who compete on the BBQ circuit will often release recipes, but hold back a few key "secret" ingredients that help put their recipes over the top. This is supposed to be the exact same recipe that the IQUE barbecue team used to win the 2009 Jack Daniels Grand Championship: the rub, the barbecue sauce, the pork marinade and the rib recipe. To go along with the ribs I made The Best Baked Beans Ever from the Pioneer Woman Cooks website. 

These ribs definitely lived up to their billing, they are the best ribs I've ever had. My guest all agreed these ribs were something special. My wife, who normally can take or leave ribs, loved these. She ate more ribs than I have ever seen her eat. These ribs were different from any ribs I have had. They were boldly flavored: a wonderful combination of sweet and spicy. The cooking method was a bit different than any I'd heard of and it turned out some tender juicy ribs with many layers of flavor. I made the rub, the barbecue sauce and the pork marinade the day before. so I could focus on the ribs and beans today. I used two Eggs with the platesetter in both. One Egg at 250 for the ribs and one at 325 for the beans. Once I got each Egg stabilized, I never had to mess with the temps the rest of the time. The Egg is so amazing, but I am preaching to the choir. So I'll let the pictures pick up from here.

IQUE DRY RUB

The IQUE dry rub used: Turbinado sugar, kosher salt, paprika, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, 5 peppercorn blend, cumin seed, granulated onion and granulated garlic.

This rub recipe called for many of the spices in whole form and then you grind them down to form a fine powder. The Krupps coffee grinder makes a great spice grinder. I just don't use it for coffee.

The finished IQUE rub which gets used for the ribs and as an ingredient in the BBQ sauce.

The IQUE BBQ Sauce used brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, corn syrup, Worcestershire sauce, IQUE rub, chipotle powder, cumin powder, tomato powder, hickory powder, mustard powder, Szechuan peppercorns, mixed peppercorns, garlic powder and thyme.

The brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce are brought to a gentle boil and then get removed from the heat.

After the pan is removed from the heat most of the dry ingredients are added and the mixture is allowed to steep for 15 minutes off heat.

The ketchup and corn syrup are added and the sauce is simmered for 30 minutes.

The IQUE BBQ sauce gets added added and the sauce is removed from the heat. The sauce is sweet, spicy and tangy, I liked it a lot.

Next up was the pork marinade sauce. It uses some of the IQUE BBQ sauce, white grape juice, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.

The sauce is brought to a simmer and gets used or stored.

The St. Louis cut spare ribs are trimmed of fat and the silverskin has been removed from the back.

The ribs have been patted dry & the IQUE Rub has been applied.

The ribs are on the Egg which has been stabilized at 250 degrees and setup for indirect with the stainless steel grid resting on the platesetter which is installed legs up. I used a foil drip pan and have added 2 handfuls of Apple chips. I added more chips every hour. I used my Maverick ET-732 to monitor grid temps, but the temps were rock steady for the entire time.

The ribs have been on for 2 hours and are ready to inside and be wrapped in foil.

The ribs are about to get foiled together with some Agave nectar, brown sugar and the IQUE pork marinade.

The ribs are coated on both sides with the agave nectar and brown sugar. 

The last step before wrapping the ribs is to add the IQUE Pork Marinade.

The foiled ribs are on, time to start the beans. They used pork & beans, thick cut bacon, vinegar, diced onion, brown sugar, powdered mustard, diced onion & some the IQUE BBQ Sauce.

The second Egg is set up for indirect as well and the ingredients and utensils are gathered and ready to go. This Egg (with the BGE CI Dutch Oven inside) has been stabilized at 325 degrees.

The first step for the beans is to partially cook the bacon. The bacon is removed, the fat is retained for the next step. The bacon is placed on paper towels to cool off. Instead of adding whole strips of bacon on top as the recipe called for, I cut it into a fine dice and added it back into the mix later.

The diced green pepper & onion are sautéed next.

After the green pepper and onions are sautéed, the beans and other remaining ingredients are added to the Dutch oven and are cooked at 325 for two hours using smoke from Apple chips.

Here are pictures of the beans 1 hour and 2 hours along. The beans were removed at the 2 hour mark and are allowed to cool for 10 minutes.

The foil wrapped ribs have been on the Egg for an hour and it is time to take them off.

The ribs are out of the original foil and are ready to be brushed with BBQ sauce and IQUE Rub. This is where this recipe deviated from any rib recipe I've seen. After the ribs get brushed with the sauce and rubbed, they go back in the foil and rest at room temp for 30 minutes.

The ribs have been brushed with the IQUE BBQ Sauce and sprinkled with more of the IQUE Rub. They go back in the foil and rest at room temp for 30 minutes.

The ribs have emerged from their 30 minute foil nap and are ready to carve. 

While the beans were cooling off the Egg and the ribs were having their foil nap, we started with a garden salad.

Time to eat!! In addition the the ribs and baked beans I served some brown bread. I need to find a good recipe for baking my own brown bread.

The beans were great and had a little extra kick to them due to my using the spicy/tangy IQUE BBQ sauce as the BBQ sauce for the beans. 

The ribs: Best I or my guests have ever had. 'Nuff said.

This was a fun day and my first ribs on the Egg were a Grand Slam and it is such a joy doing low and slow on the Egg vs. by my old horizontal offset smoker. I am able to do more in the Kitchen cause I am spending less time out at the grill.

Lots of pictures I know. If you made it down to here I'll say thanks for looking.
Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Wow! Awesome meal Jim.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I really think you should put more effort into your cooks and also your postings on this site.  :<)

Everything looks absolutely delicious plus, when using your Eggs, it was also fun as well to cook.

Thanks for sharing your day and recipes.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Great job Jim they look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    Great cook! Thanks for sharing.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Wow ...thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking cook. Thanks for all the pictures and step by step commentary.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    Love it!  I enjoyed the step by step instructions so much I'm going to try following the whole process on the 4th.  Thank you and keep the great post coming. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Interesting method- not setting the sauce on the grill is unique. Thanks for posting looks great
    Greensboro, NC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Always look forward to your posts
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Great job cooking and documenting. You give me a standard to aspire to.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for looking and for their comments. 

@Springram I hadn't really thought about it too much until I read your comment, but the Egg is a big part of what makes the cooking part fun. You get great results with next to no effort on your part fiddling around with the mechanics of grilling. You get to focus on the cooking part which is the fun part and the whole point of the exercise. 

@Wolfpack I've never heard of doing ribs this way before, but the judges at the Jack liked them well enough to give them 1st prize. It is interesting too, after reading your comment about "setting" the sauce, I realized that in the back of my mind I hd noticed these ribs didn't have as crispy an outer bark as other ribs. But they were so tasty and moist the slight difference in the consistency of the crust was't significant enough to matter. These ribs made a great impression the moment they hit your mouth. Everyone had something to say the moment they bit into them. Interesting though, that until your comment I hadn't given the outer bark being a bit less crispy a second thought.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    As usual good looking cook. I envy your spice collection. I bet it's worth a lot.