Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ2

i am going to use my DigiQ for the first time and just wanted some pointers.

When i first light the egg do i start it with the digiq in place and set to my temp or do i start it as usual the put the digiq on it as it comes to temp? 

I understand pretty much how to use it just not sure about starting

Thanks

Larry
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I usually start as usual and then after 5 or 10 minutes put the fan in place and let the digiq take over.  One thing I have found is to get under 250F I have to close the damper on the fan almost all the way.  So if you are running hot, try closing it more.  I have to pull the fan and look at the opening to get a good feel since the external markings don't help much at the extremes.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    one other thing do you cook with the top adjustable cap on or off?  i have been told both ways 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use mine on an XL and start like aem then put the fan in. When the temp gets to about 200, I put the daisy wheel on and close almost all of the way.  Agree with aem that the damper has to be at least down to 1/4 open.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• llrickman
    I kinda thought you would leave the daisy wheel on but i wasnt sure .  I'll start it let it get to 200 then put in my place setter and the digiq in place  

thanks for your help to both of you
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • dlk7

If you overshoot the temp you want, it is usually because you have the damper or the daisy wheel open too much.  On my XL, if I want to maintain 225, the damper is a little less than 1/4 open and the daisy wheel is open just a crack.  When the gasket was newer both could be open a little more.  No worries, the digiq is fairly easy to control once you play with it a bit.

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Also, the type of lump makes a big difference for me.  Rockwood, Ozark Oak, and Dragon Breath all do low and slows very well.  I found that the Rockwood has less ash which may help those with a large BGE and not using the hique greate.

Waunakee, WI

• llrickman
    I used Ozark oak exclusively when I bought my egg when I lived in Lubbock tx. But now I am in ABQ NM and its nowhere to be found here :(
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    dlk7 said:

If you overshoot the temp you want, it is usually because you have the damper or the daisy wheel open too much.  On my XL, if I want to maintain 225, the damper is a little less than 1/4 open and the daisy wheel is open just a crack.  When the gasket was newer both could be open a little more.  No worries, the digiq is fairly easy to control once you play with it a bit.

+1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • llrickman
    Lit the egg about an hour ago I'm already seeing the temp swings but its not bad. 10 degrees or so. I think I'm really going to enjoy using this ill be going for a lower temp next time doing ribs

Thanks
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I really like it for long cooks.  I can sleep, run errands, etc without watching the temperature all the time.  I haven't used the ramp feature yet. Don't know if I will.