Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

DigiQ2

i am going to use my DigiQ for the first time and just wanted some pointers.

When i first light the egg do i start it with the digiq in place and set to my temp or do i start it as usual the put the digiq on it as it comes to temp? 

I understand pretty much how to use it just not sure about starting

Thanks

Larry
One LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM
·

Comments

• aemaem Posts: 115
    I usually start as usual and then after 5 or 10 minutes put the fan in place and let the digiq take over.  One thing I have found is to get under 250F I have to close the damper on the fan almost all the way.  So if you are running hot, try closing it more.  I have to pull the fan and look at the opening to get a good feel since the external markings don't help much at the extremes.
    ·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 519
    one other thing do you cook with the top adjustable cap on or off?  i have been told both ways 
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I use mine on an XL and start like aem then put the fan in. When the temp gets to about 200, I put the daisy wheel on and close almost all of the way.  Agree with aem that the damper has to be at least down to 1/4 open.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
    I kinda thought you would leave the daisy wheel on but i wasnt sure .  I'll start it let it get to 200 then put in my place setter and the digiq in place  

thanks for your help to both of you
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·

If you overshoot the temp you want, it is usually because you have the damper or the daisy wheel open too much.  On my XL, if I want to maintain 225, the damper is a little less than 1/4 open and the daisy wheel is open just a crack.  When the gasket was newer both could be open a little more.  No worries, the digiq is fairly easy to control once you play with it a bit.

Waunakee, WI

·
    Also, the type of lump makes a big difference for me.  Rockwood, Ozark Oak, and Dragon Breath all do low and slows very well.  I found that the Rockwood has less ash which may help those with a large BGE and not using the hique greate.

Waunakee, WI

·
    I used Ozark oak exclusively when I bought my egg when I lived in Lubbock tx. But now I am in ABQ NM and its nowhere to be found here :(
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    dlk7 said:

If you overshoot the temp you want, it is usually because you have the damper or the daisy wheel open too much.  On my XL, if I want to maintain 225, the damper is a little less than 1/4 open and the daisy wheel is open just a crack.  When the gasket was newer both could be open a little more.  No worries, the digiq is fairly easy to control once you play with it a bit.

+1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
    Lit the egg about an hour ago I'm already seeing the temp swings but its not bad. 10 degrees or so. I think I'm really going to enjoy using this ill be going for a lower temp next time doing ribs

Thanks
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • aemaem Posts: 115
    I really like it for long cooks.  I can sleep, run errands, etc without watching the temperature all the time.  I haven't used the ramp feature yet. Don't know if I will.
    ·