Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on my XL BGE. Baby back ribs.

The ribs went 2.5 hours at 250 degrees. Wrapped them with homey and apple juice for another hour at 300. I brushed the sauce and let them cook 20 min each side direct heat. Looks great, good smoke ring but a little tough. Pleased with my first cook. I controlled the heat pretty well. Any thoughts? I would love for them be more tender.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Those do look very nice and juicy, but in these shots there's not a lot of pullback from the bone. Maybe they could have been cooked a bit longer? Did you give them the old bend test for doneness?

Does look like a good first cook, congrats!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • I'm having the same problem. The meat is tender and the pull is perfect but the bark is tougher than I would like. Interested to hear what the  board suggests. 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    KerrDog said:
    The ribs went 2.5 hours at 250 degrees. Wrapped them with homey and apple juice for another hour at 300. I brushed the sauce and let them cook 20 min each side direct heat. Looks great, good smoke ring but a little tough. Pleased with my first cook. I controlled the heat pretty well. Any thoughts? I would love for them be more tender.
    Ribs can be real tricky on how much time they take.  Pick them up with your tongs from one end and they should bend or even break in half.  Toughness generally means not cooked long enough.  All  Q is ready when it is ready!!
  • I was having the same issue. All the feedback I was getting was saying that I wasn't cooking long enough. Looks like your total time was a little over 4 hours. They told me that at 250-275 they could go 5-6 hours. I did some yesterday total cook time was a little over 5 hours. They turned out much better. And I finally figured out what they meant with the bend test. Just keep trying. This forum can be a lot of help.
  • KerrDog
    KerrDog Posts: 4
    Great info! Thanks to all. Looks like dead chickens tonight. Using my old recipie. I'll keep you posted.