Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wondering if my band/hinge assembly has a defect.

Hey guys. Ever since I have had my LBGE, 1 year ago, I have had an underbite. By that I mean the dome sits further to the back and not flush. I have taken the dome off, realigned and put back together. I have tried every method on the net of how to realign the dome etc. Nothing has worked. It appears that if I have everything perfectly aligned and all the bands/nuts/bolts tight, it will still get the underbite after i open and close it just once. I really dont know what else to do. I am not sure if this is normal or if the band assembly on the LBGE is at fault. So I thank you guys for any insight on this that you can provide. At this point the gasket in the rear is exposed and getting burnt up. 

Comments

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    all about the bands - I have fought that many times and finally figured it out - I will show you my fix...

I am in the Keys and will be back in a few days...I will post some pics then
  • I noticed this too on my egg....
  • rpayer
    rpayer Posts: 3
    I have this same issue.  I have fought with it for a year.  I've spoken to customer support a few times and my next step is to send them some pictures.  Going to do that today.
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    I also have an underbite on our egg.  This has been since the day we got it so right away we sent an email to the store and they had someone from BGE call us right away.  He seems to believe we just need to have it adjusted so the store is sending out someone to fix it. 

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• rpayer
    The problem is the bottom band has to sit up on the base so that it is flush with the top of it.  The dome is too heavy and when you leave it open for periods of time it puts too much weight on the bottom band and it slips back down on the base.

BGE told me it has to be positioned that way...
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    MINE LOOKS LIKE AN UNDERBITE BUT IVE SINCE NOTICED MY GASKET WASNT PUT ON CORRECTLY,IT ACTUALLY THE GASKET IS A LITTLE TOO  FORWARD ON THE FRONT BASE/RIM GIVING THE APPEARANCE OF A UNDERBITE.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    MINE LOOKS LIKE AN UNDERBITE BUT IVE SINCE NOTICED MY GASKET WASNT PUT ON CORRECTLY,IT ACTUALLY THE GASKET IS A LITTLE TOO  FORWARD ON THE FRONT BASE/RIM GIVING THE APPEARANCE OF A UNDERBITE.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? :D
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    For me, it was all about the bottom band like @rpayer said.  I have the bottom band high, and the top band low.  I sat on top of the egg pushing down while my wife tightened and I have not had a problem since.  Good luck.  

LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • rpayer
    Eggucator said:
    For me, it was all about the bottom band like @rpayer said.  I have the bottom band high, and the top band low.  I sat on top of the egg pushing down while my wife tightened and I have not had a problem since.  Good luck.  

Your bottom band doesn't slip down from leaving the dome up for short periods of time?
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? :D
    Sorry man.... I noticed that and was to lazy to delete and retype it:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • all about the bands - I have fought that many times and finally figured it out - I will show you my fix...

Thank you and I look forward to seeing the fix. And have a drink for us while you are at the keys. Its been years since i have been but i do remember how beautiful it was. 
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    @rpayer It hasnt yet and it has been some time since I did the adjustment.  I tightened it pretty strongly and bent the bolts. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • all about the bands - I have fought that many times and finally figured it out - I will show you my fix...

Thank you and I look forward to seeing the fix. And have a drink for us while you are at the keys. Its been years since i have been but i do remember how beautiful it was. 
    Jimreed777- Where you able to get those pics on how you fixed the dome?
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    The fix is easy, you just have to use a little common sense when you tighten everything up.  Check you tube, there are many videos out there to show you how to do it.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!