Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post Pork Shoulder cook question

Javlon0811
Javlon0811 Posts: 2
I'm a new by to the forum so forgive me if this has been answered previously but I've got what was a 10.3 lb pork shoulder coming off the egg around midnight tonight and I had planned to wrap it, igloo it, and pull it in the morning butt the wife's telling me I aughta fridge it after the wrap.  Any thoughts from those more experienced? Thanks in advance! :-) 

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    How long will it be wrapped and in the cooler?  4-5 hours I think you might be ok.  I'm not too sure about longer.  I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    I wouldn't go more than 4 hours wrapped. If its done an midnight and you want to get a goodnight sleep I would pull it and then refrigerate the pulled pork.

About an hour before you want to serve it put it in the oven covered up at 250 with a cup of apple juice for some added moisture. It will come out nice and juicy.

If you don't pull it you run the risk of bacteria even with it put in the fridge. It's to big a piece a piece of meat to cool down enough after getting to 200. Just my opinion.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    4 hours in cooler - after that, refrig and reheat in the oven. Make sure you hit 165 internal temp when reheating - that is the instant kill temp for bacteria.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Thanks for your responses.  Sounds like a plan.  I guess the wifey was right! :-)