Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd cook - 1st pork butt-success

Options
Lit her up around 9am, mixed some handfuls of soaked chips throughout and a few chunks. Had trouble getting the temp below 300 dome, 275 grate. Was shooting for 250, went for 9 hours and stalled around 197. Wanting to get to 205 but tired of waiting, probe went in smooth and home was pulling out easy. I FTC for 2 hours, pulled it out and stuck it in the fridge overnight, probably should've shredded it then but I waited til the morning. Don't know if this was a good decision because it was harder to pull and discarded a bunch of fatty parts.

It was delicious, great bark, could've been smokier but I'm super happy. The SWMBO, and kids loved it.

Up next is some bone chicken thighs with a general tso glaze. I'm thinking 300-350 direct and start glazing after 1st flip

Comments

• SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    That looks really great. I sometimes have similar issues getting the dome to a low enough temp. That usually happens if I use a chimney to light the charcoal then pour it over the coals in the egg. It seems to light everything much faster but then again it gets too hot to control. So for the low and slow cooks I know just light the coals in a few places and let is slowly come to temp. Also, be careful on the thighs. All the fat dripping down into the coals tends to give me too much bad smoke when i cook those direct. Might want to try indirect till almost cooked then finish direct Enjoy the egg!
  • Jilogethan4
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, they are skin on as well. 

Problem I have is I still dont have some high temp gloves for removing that platesetter.  Checking out some welding gloves from a local supply store.