Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Part-cooking Ribs

Options

Next weekend I am part of an annual Father-Son Golf Tournament after which all come to the house for BBQ

I am thinking Ribs, but it would take too long to start the cook after Golf with all the hungry eyes looking over my shoulder, besides they would probably bee to sauced to eat at that point........I am thinking if I could partially cook and then finish them within the hour it would be great

Advice please on method and recipe - Prefer Dry Ribs vs Basted.  Thanks

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Last year I did 12 racks of ribs for our tennis city finals. I started the evening before and put on 6 racks of baby back at 6:00pm and smoked for 3 hours took them off at 9:00 and put on the next 6. I double wrapped them in heavy duty foil and put them in a large cooler packed with towels. At midnight I did the same with the next set and when I put these 6 in the cooler I surrounded the 9:00 pull with the 12:00 pull so hot ribs were around the earlier ribs and stuffed the cooler with towels both under the ribs around and on top. At 5:00am I got up and got the egg up to 300, unwrapped the ribs 3 at a time, they were still hot to the touch, and put them back on the egg for about 30 minutes raised direct sauced some of them with a couple different types of sauce and left 3 with just the dry rub. I then double wrapped them again for transport to the tennis facility for the tournament that started at 9:00am. We started eating at 11:00. I had never done it this way before and with all the talk about how good my ribs are I was worried how this would workout. The ribs were as good as any ribs I had ever cooked and I still get praised by my team mates for pulling it off such a feat. I hope this helps. BTW my name is Jim too so I have faith in you.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You can smoke them ahead of time to where they are pretty much finished, wrap them and refrigerate, then throw them on the egg and for 30 minutes or so and sauce them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would cook them 3-1-1 method, but hold the last part of the cook -- the sauced.  Leave them in the foil -- warm them up the day of the tourney, then remove the foil, sauce them, put them back on the grill to set the sauce and serve them.  Total prep time would be a little over an hour.
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    Options
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    Options
    Worked out great and my Son and I won the matches ! The BGE has made me a Celebrity Chef in our circle of friends