Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sat Cook... Go Big, or Go Home

hapsterhapster Posts: 6,915
Had the butcher cut and bone my rib eye roast this morning. When he asked how much; I said "giveme' 4 ribs"... What a dummy. Needless to say I started to make a few phone calls and now what was going to be a simple dinner for 3 is now a dinner party.

Her she is tied and ready... At 9.45lbs.

I am going with a coating of olive oil with s p and garlic and rosemary. Thinking direct and turning/ rolling to get a good sear and then indirect at 350 or so until its at about 135IT

Thoughts?

image.jpg 495.6K
·

Comments

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 672
    In Rainman voice..."about a hundred dollars". Go get em Hap. Stay hydrated.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,406
    Have fun today!  Wish I could partake in a slice or two.  :)
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    @hapster thats huge i did a 2 rib and it fed my family . can't wait to see how yours turns out
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nice chunk of meat, and i know you will pull it off perfectly -- maybe even send a photo!!  Only problem i can see is this will cook pretty fast, and that might cut into the "cook's "R&R" period?
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,915
    Thanks!

After some quick research... Going to go lower and slower in a raised direct fashion at a dome of 220 to 250 until the IT reaches 130 and then pull for the rest.

Going to do some asparagus and twice baked potatoes (Cheddar)
    ·
    bigphil said:
    @hapster thats huge i did a 2 rib and it fed my family . can't wait to see how yours turns out
    That's why I'm a dummy :)

Ah well... I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't mind a care package
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    When I did mine I did 250 raised direct . Pulled around 120 and let it rest in the cooler. That was a mistake because it was the yeti and it kept on cooking. It came out a little over medium well. I was shooting for medium rare but that didnt happen. Oh well the inlaws loved it.
    I would stay stick with 250 raised direct and pull at 130 like you said. The rosemary and garlic is the way to go also.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • @hapster that is going to be one heck of a dinner!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!
    ·
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 244
    That looks amazing. Please post pics of the process.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,656
    Big alright.... =D>
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I wish I was your neighbor.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    shtgunal3 said:
    I wish I was your neighbor.
    Yes, or your second cousin's mailman's brother's plumber.  Dang that looks good!
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    We like ours a little on the rare side and pull the meat at 120. The leftovers can be reheated without over cooking the meat. Works for us. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,085
    Enjoy the Roast Beast!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,656
    GrannyX4 said:

We like ours a little on the rare side and pull the meat at 120. The leftovers can be reheated without over cooking the meat. Works for us. ;;)

I agree with that. Pull at 120-125, cover with foil (not too tight) and let rest for about 30 minutes. The piece of meat will continue cooking and the IT will increase by 10+ degrees. Personally, I cook indirect but direct should be fine as well.

Thanks guys...

I'm the only one here that likes it rare to med rare, everyone else likes it a little north of med.

:(
    ·
    Here are some other prep pics...

Twice baked potatoes from the BGE cook book. Used Cheddar instead of Gouda

imageimage
    image.jpg 466.2K
    image.jpg 613.5K
    ·
  • Looking great! Really looking forward to a pic of the finished roast.
    ·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 519
    hapster said:
    Thanks guys... I'm the only one here that likes it rare to med rare, everyone else likes it a little north of med. :(
    I always tell me friends and family if they want med well to well I'll be happy to make them a hamburger or
    ~:>
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
    Can't have beef without some shrooms!

Butter, garlic, and some Cab Sauvignon

Cooking down nice and slow

image.jpg 602.8K
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,085
    Damn Hap! Nice job
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,656
    Its good to be king huh....
    Beautiful ..... Pics and cooks Hap.
    Always enjoy your threads.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Quite the average Saturday cook. Lookin great
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Maybe late, but I like the reverse sear on my prime ribs. Slow and low until 15degress from target temp . Than get the Egg up to 500 and do 90 to 120. Seconds on each side.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    is a rib eye roast the same thing as a prime rib?  When I buy a whole rib eye at Costco to cut into steaks, am I buying the same thing...?  I know it is a very basic question but this confuses me.

That piece of meat looks amazing @hapster, whatever it is.
    Charleston, SC
    ·
    Thanks guys... Here it is just before it came off. Resting, now at about 15min

image.jpg 821.5K
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,087
    looks great!
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Very Nice!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,314
    wow, truly inspiring 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·