Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Roasted Bone Marrow - Trying New Things (suggestions welcome)

In my quest for trying new and exciting things on the egg, I opted to try my hand at some roasted bone marrow.  

Whenever I usually do find bone marrow, it is cut in a circular pattern, which usually results in the marrow oozing out and making a giant mess.
Low and behold at my new favorite butcher here in Austin, Salt + Time, they sell bone marrow cut lengthwise making for super simple preparation.

Fired up the egg at about 400; roasted for about 15 minutes until they begin to separate from the bone.

Spread out on a little brioche with a simple garlic parsley salad.

Anyone else have some suggestions to help me push my culinary boundaries?
BGE in the ATX
Marrow1.jpg 106.8K
Marrow2.jpg 230.9K
Marrow3.jpg 256.8K

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,593
    Pretty interesting. Personally never cooked my own bone marrow, but looks like you nailed it to me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    No other suggestion, looks fantastic. How did it come out?
  • ThieveryThievery Posts: 37
    IrishDevl said:
    No other suggestion, looks fantastic. How did it come out?
    I'll just quote Anthony Bourdain here:  “If God made butter it would taste exactly like bone marrow.”
    BGE in the ATX
    I've eaten this at restaurants and love it. Seems they keep it fairly simple like you did and let the marrow speak for itself.
    @thievery - I owe this inspiration to you. Hoping to cook it tonight.
    image.jpg 2.2M
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,224
    Oh damn! I love bone marrow. Can't find it cut lengthwise around here though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    My butcher cut it today for me.
  • phoenix007phoenix007 Posts: 49
    What does it taste like?