Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

General Tsao Wangs (pix)

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

My wife went out to dinner tonight with a coworker and some medical representatives.  That meant I got a bachelor night all to myself.  :D  I was craving Chinese Takeout, but I was also wanting to use the BGE.  I found some Wingettes on mega sale, so I decided to combine two of my favorites....general tsao chicken and WANGS!  ;) 

Gave these a dusting of baking powder along with a spicy homemade rub. 

Grilled them up Indirect at a dome temp of 400 deg f for an hour (give or take)...just grilled them up until they were very crispy.

Then sauced them with my favorite store-bought General Tsao Sauce:

Served up with some Nathan's Onion Rings.  Can't really tell from the next pic, but this plate was actually a platter.  LOL....  Don't tell my wife.  ;)  Although I didn't eat it all.  Still have enough for lunch tomorrow or the next day.  ;)  The General Tsao Sauce really worked well on the chicken wings.  A repeater for sure.  :)

Comments

• Looks good. Great pics as well.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Great pics as always @Dyal_SC. I have that sauce in my store and have never tried it, but now think that may be on the to do list.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    That's an awesome idea, will have to look for that sauce in the supermarket!
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Simple looking deliciousness meal. Well done.
  • Thanks for the inspiration - love the idea of Egg chinese take in!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    +1 to Baking soda on  yardbird
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Beautamus Dyal. Great idea and consider it stolen. And, @Mickey will probably steal your plated pic since he never cooks food.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Love it.  My youngest daughter would tear those up.  She loves general Tso (Tsao?...whoever that general is!). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Those look great!  Tell me about the rub.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =D> Great idea, Dyal. I'm telling your wife, though. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    What a wonderful idea. Food looks on point.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Looks amazing. Love us some wings. Can you guys explain the baking soda? I get flour or cornstarch, but I don't think I have ever dusted in baking soda.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

As always, you steal the show. Looks like a plate to me and I would hit it big time.

=D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Great idea! Will be trying these. Thanks for posting

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would love to try this sauce, but need some information on "how hot it was" ??  The girls here don't have a high tolerance for heat???   Thanks
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

The food has been associated with the name of Zuo Zongtang (左宗棠, 1812–1885), a Qing Dynasty general from Hunan. Zuo himself could not have eaten the dish as it is today,[2] and the dish is neither found in Changsha, the capital of Hunan, nor in Xiangyin, the home of General Tso. Moreover, descendants of General Tso still living in Xiangyin, when interviewed, say that they have never heard of such a dish.[4]

There are several stories concerning the origin of the dish. Eileen Yin-Fei Lo states in her book The Chinese Kitchen that the dish originates from a simple Hunan chicken dish, and that the reference to "Zongtang" was not a reference to Zuo Zongtang's given name, but rather a reference to the homonym "zongtang", meaning "ancestral meeting hall."[5] Consistent with this interpretation, the dish name is sometimes (but considerably less commonly) found in Chinese as "Zuo ancestral hall chicken". (Chung tong gai is a transliteration of “ancestral meeting hall chicken” from Cantonese; Zuǒ Zōngtáng jī is the standard name of General Tso's chicken as transliterated from Mandarin.)

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

Thanks a lot, buddies and buddettes!  :D 

@Fred19Flintstone, I can't even remember what all I put in this one.  I enjoy messing around with different spices.  I wanted these a little bit Asiany...I think it was Sugar in the Raw, Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Ground Ginger, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and a little Paprika for color. 

@Griffin, I hate you.  That is all.  ;)

@Dredger, I like drying the wings with paper towels and sprinkling on some baking powder along with the seasonings.  It helps to get the wings super crispy (almost fried-like).  If you like a crispy wing that will soak in sauce really well, definitely give it a try.  :)  Some people like using baking soda or corn starch, but I've always had good results with baking powder.

@Charlie_tuna, the sauce itself isn't too awful hot.  It does have a little bit of heat though I guess.  I'm not the best person to ask though, since I like things spicy!  :)  I think the hottest part of these wings were the added crushed red pepper flakes.

@thetrim, that's cool info!  Never read that before.  Where ever it came from, all I knows is thats I like it!  ;)

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    That looks fantastic!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Thanks Dyal SC. Will definitely try that.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC