Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sat Cook... Go Big, or Go Home

hapsterhapster Posts: 7,201
Had the butcher cut and bone my rib eye roast this morning. When he asked how much; I said "giveme' 4 ribs"... What a dummy. Needless to say I started to make a few phone calls and now what was going to be a simple dinner for 3 is now a dinner party.

Her she is tied and ready... At 9.45lbs.

I am going with a coating of olive oil with s p and garlic and rosemary. Thinking direct and turning/ rolling to get a good sear and then indirect at 350 or so until its at about 135IT

Thoughts?

image.jpg 495.6K

Comments

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 715
    In Rainman voice..."about a hundred dollars". Go get em Hap. Stay hydrated.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,710
    Have fun today!  Wish I could partake in a slice or two.  :)
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    @hapster thats huge i did a 2 rib and it fed my family . can't wait to see how yours turns out
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nice chunk of meat, and i know you will pull it off perfectly -- maybe even send a photo!!  Only problem i can see is this will cook pretty fast, and that might cut into the "cook's "R&R" period?
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,201
    Thanks!

After some quick research... Going to go lower and slower in a raised direct fashion at a dome of 220 to 250 until the IT reaches 130 and then pull for the rest.

Going to do some asparagus and twice baked potatoes (Cheddar)
    bigphil said:
    @hapster thats huge i did a 2 rib and it fed my family . can't wait to see how yours turns out
    That's why I'm a dummy :)

Ah well... I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't mind a care package
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    When I did mine I did 250 raised direct . Pulled around 120 and let it rest in the cooler. That was a mistake because it was the yeti and it kept on cooking. It came out a little over medium well. I was shooting for medium rare but that didnt happen. Oh well the inlaws loved it.
    I would stay stick with 250 raised direct and pull at 130 like you said. The rosemary and garlic is the way to go also.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• @hapster that is going to be one heck of a dinner!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 304
    That looks amazing. Please post pics of the process.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,742
    Big alright.... =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I wish I was your neighbor.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    shtgunal3 said:
    I wish I was your neighbor.
    Yes, or your second cousin's mailman's brother's plumber.  Dang that looks good!
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,465
    We like ours a little on the rare side and pull the meat at 120. The leftovers can be reheated without over cooking the meat. Works for us. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,153
    Enjoy the Roast Beast!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,703
    GrannyX4 said:

We like ours a little on the rare side and pull the meat at 120. The leftovers can be reheated without over cooking the meat. Works for us. ;;)

I agree with that. Pull at 120-125, cover with foil (not too tight) and let rest for about 30 minutes. The piece of meat will continue cooking and the IT will increase by 10+ degrees. Personally, I cook indirect but direct should be fine as well.

I'm the only one here that likes it rare to med rare, everyone else likes it a little north of med.

:(
    Here are some other prep pics...

Twice baked potatoes from the BGE cook book. Used Cheddar instead of Gouda

imageimage
    image.jpg 466.2K
    image.jpg 613.5K
  • Looking great! Really looking forward to a pic of the finished roast.
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 538
    hapster said:
    Thanks guys... I'm the only one here that likes it rare to med rare, everyone else likes it a little north of med. :(
    I always tell me friends and family if they want med well to well I'll be happy to make them a hamburger or
    ~:>
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    Can't have beef without some shrooms!

Butter, garlic, and some Cab Sauvignon

Cooking down nice and slow

image.jpg 602.8K
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,153
    Damn Hap! Nice job
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,742
    Its good to be king huh....
    Beautiful ..... Pics and cooks Hap.
    Always enjoy your threads.
    Seattle, WA
  • Quite the average Saturday cook. Lookin great
  • AltonAlton Posts: 443
    Maybe late, but I like the reverse sear on my prime ribs. Slow and low until 15degress from target temp . Than get the Egg up to 500 and do 90 to 120. Seconds on each side.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    is a rib eye roast the same thing as a prime rib?  When I buy a whole rib eye at Costco to cut into steaks, am I buying the same thing...?  I know it is a very basic question but this confuses me.

That piece of meat looks amazing @hapster, whatever it is.
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks guys... Here it is just before it came off. Resting, now at about 15min

image.jpg 821.5K
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,108
    looks great!
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
  • AltonAlton Posts: 443
    Very Nice!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,401
    wow, truly inspiring 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!