Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butt grid temp

I have two 6# butts I am going to turbo today. I know done temp from Mickey is 350, but as I am using a DigiQ, what grid temp do u recommend. I need to calibrate my dome temp which is why I am asking
LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I turbo cook and use a DigiQ too.  The most important part is the first, or open(unwrapped) part of the cook where you want to expose the butts to a maximum amount of smoke.  To accomplish this i try to cook as low as possible, for me and my DigiQ, that is around 210 grid temperature.  I am cooking indirect (foil pan to catch the drippings), meat at gasket level, "trying" to maintain 210 degrees.  Now normally my temperature will drift up close to 270 degrees for an hour of so, then slowly lower down to 225 or there about.  At 160 degrees (or more) is when i remove the butt and wrap it in a few layers of foil to protect from loosing all the flavor juices.  Then after wrapping the butt goes back on the grill, and the temperature gets increases to about 325 for the rest of the cook --  i inject my butts and cook them to 210 degrees -- never had a dry butt!!  This 325 degree setpoint can be increased or decreased, accordenly to complete the cook to meet your finish time, always include at least one hour of rest period in a cooler before seving..  It will be great.. image
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    350 dome is fine. Mr. Tuna gave a good write up.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The old fisherman who taught me about turbo cooking as i was bragging about 18 and 20 hour overnight "Low and Slows" cooked his butts on an old R2D2 style upright smoker -- legs had rusted off of it and he had it propped up on concrete blocks!!  He said, " the lower temperature during the smoking part of the cook will prevent the searing of the butt, thereby allowing it to accept more smoke taste".  That sounded sensible to me and i think it is an important step.  And cooking at a higher temperature during this part --  with a chunk of cold meat on the grill isn't going to speed up your finish time that much.  Someone posted a method by which you cooked a butt in a CI pot at 450 degrees.  I tried it, and it was cooked in like two and a half hours, but it didn't have the taste and the fat was marbled in the meat, not melted like a long cook.  My $.02 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    300 grid... Straight through. Lots of chunks early on.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN