Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking steaks today, who has the best recipe?

Options
Aquacop
Aquacop Posts: 481
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have seen so many different ways to cook them that I am dizzy. Would love to conquer the perfect medium rare recipe. Please help.
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I like the reverse sear. I cook my ribeyes raised direct at 400 for about 8 min a side. I then remove the steak and rank the egg to 600. I thrn put the steaks on a cast iron grid on a spider near the fire and sear them for 2-3 min a side. They come out great.

I either use dizzy pig cow lick or Penzies Chicago Steak seasoning

Garnerville, NY
  • Aquacop
    Options
    robnybbq, thanks for the advice, looking forward to dinner time
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I have never gotten better results doing it a complicated way than I get going simple.  I just do raised grid at 400.  Usually for about 5 minutes a side.  The pics are actually of a roast, that looked so much like a porterhouse that I had to try it.  I did as described and it took 20 minutes to be one of the best steaks I've had.  The only tricky part is to monitor the internal, without opening too much, so you can grab it at the doneness you want.  Don't forget it keeps cooking after removed from the flame.  I would recommend pulling at 130.  The more of these you do, the more you will get a feeling for timing, so you will be opening the dome a minimum.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Aquacop
    Options
    Thanks Doc - Looks delicious
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    You could try the redneck sous vide method and sear it on the egg.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I go raised indirect at 350 with a little smoke to 110. Pull it, foil it. Egg up to 700. 45 seconds a side. BOOM medium rare. When you go to 700 watch for backdraft...
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    +1 on reverse sear. Details may vary, but basically lower temp (~300-400) until ~130 then pull and open the vents for the hottest fire possible. Drop the feature down and sear both sides until the crust looks nice.

As for seasoning I really like DO Raising the steaks or Golden Toad Steak seasoning.

Enjoy, and throw us some pics.

B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited June 2013
    Options

Here's my recipe for espresso cocoa rub ;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

Dizzy Pig also has one called Red Eye Express and it is quite good. The sauce is a whisky cream sauce. The pic is of a ribeye and a filet. 400 direct until IT is 125-130, raise temp. to 500 to 600 then sear on spider with CI grate down low for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes a side.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I reverse sear to get edge to edge medium rare. Makes an amazing steak. Doc's method works too, but I don't get edge to edge MR. I consider that an element of my "perfect steak".