Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple OK?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I have quite a bit of leftover 3/4" thick maple planks from a kitchen cabinet project.  I am thinking about cutting these pieces up into small 6" long pieces by 2" wide.  Do you think this smoke would be OK for smoking pork and chicken?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Was the wood treated in any way? Vanished? Strained? Etc? If not, if it's just raw wood I'd think it should be fine...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Maple has an extremely strong flavor. Use it sparingly. IMHO if you were to cook only with maple the food may be inedible.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Was the wood treated in any way? Vanished? Strained? Etc? If not, if it's just raw wood I'd think it should be fine...

B_B
    No, it is plain maple boards.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My yard is full of maples. Use it all the time. I don't find it strong at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have used maple on cheese and bacon and didnt find it strong.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Maple is AWESOME.......I use it all the time on pork butts, sometimes on Salmon.

As long as those boards haven't been treated with anything, cut them up and enjoy!