Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Slice

carcouette
carcouette Posts: 14
I have a 2lb ham slice to cook tonight on my LBGE.  We have been purchasing all of or meets from a local farm and they have been fantastic.  I saw this thick ham slice and couldn't pass it up.  Anybody out there have any ideas for preparing this?  I planning on throwing some baked potatoes on with it as well.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I haven't done a fresh slice of ham, but I have done a whole fresh ham. Just roasted it raised, indirect, dome 350 till the interior was 145F. It sliced easily, except for some areas around the bone. That went into the stock pot.

If the slice is under 2" thick, you should be able to treat it somewhat like a steak. My inclination would be to brush it w. butter, and grill direct raised, dome at least 350. Flip several times so the sides don't dry out.

Over 2", I'd roast it w. some time in foil w. a slice or 2 of pineapple.
  • carcouette
    carcouette Posts: 14
    Thanks gdenby. The slice is right at 2 inches. I am inclined to roll with your foil method because everybody in my family loves pineapple. The roasting should be done indirect I assume? Any thoughts on time/temperature?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, indirect. Just put a foil pie plate under it, anything to block the direct IR from the lump.

My guess is that in foil, and a dome of 350, it might be done in an hour. I'd plan on checking the temp at about 45 min. If it is below 140F, unfoil, and continue till that point, letting the meat and pineapple brown. If at or above, drop the dome temp to 250, baste w. pineapple juice, and let the browning occur. I wouldn't let the meat get any hotter than 150.

Good luck. If the pork is quality, its pretty hard to get anything less than decent results.