Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dome vs Grate Temp

GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
So I finally calibrated the dome thermo. It was 25 degrees shy of boiling. I put on the 9.5 lb brisket (slathered in Bad Byron's) when the dome hit 250. I clipped Maverick probe to the grate. An hour later, there is a 100 degree gap. Mav says 253. Dome says 355. Trust the Mav?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
·

Comments

• yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 331
    I use a Maverick on my low and slows also but have never had that big of a temperature gap.  Is the grate probe away from the cold brisket?  Cold water in the drip pan?  Not sure, just thinking of reasons for the gap.
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,383
    Trust the Mav... Give it a chance to equalize.
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    I did insulate both wires this time. Mav has held steady for an hour now.

·
    I guess cause I was reporting lower than actual on my dome dial, it's always been that big a gap at the start. I just didn't know it. DOH!

·
    One other thought, not sure if you do this but I can tell how hot my  egg is by feeling the outside of the dome.  If the grid is at 250 then it's not that hot.  Good luck and hope all goes well.  By the way, I live in Northeast Ohio, 20 minutes from Stow.
    ·
    Where from?

·
    Northfield
    ·
    They still running the ponies there? My dad worked at Chrysler in Twinsburg. I was just back that way 4 weeks ago.

·
    Yep, soon to be Hard Rock with slot machines, The Chrysler plant is gone except for the front offices, very sad. 
    ·
    Wow. No Twinsburg Stamping. Went back to Ohio and my city was gone.

·
    Ford plant in Walton Hills is next to close, tough times.  
    ·
    Maverick wins. After 13 hours, the difference between dome and grate was 30 degrees... Basically the amount of the calibration. May have to calibrate the Maverick. That'll be a different thread for another day. Thermapen read 206 at each end and 188 in the middle toward the back, 193 in the middle toward the front. It's FTC'd. Gonna stretch it 9-10 hours. Should still be hot, right? Wrapped it with 6 layers of foil and two towels.
    image.jpg 2.8M

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,894
    I'm not gonna endorse such a long FTC run but you can monitor the temp while FTC'd and estimate the time you can hold it above 140*F-although the magic 140 is clearly not in the direct line of decision making here as the environment for your brisket is much more forgiving than the one the conservative 140 is derived from.  Many have run 10-12 hours with no issues but that's your call.  FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville
    ·
    You think sticking in an oven at 210 still foiled might do it? Would I have to let it set again when I take it out?

·