Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Charcoal

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

Been out surfing Naked Whiz charcoal database this morning.

I want to try Rockwood Charcoal.   When I go to the store locator on their website - type in a North Texas zip code - no results up to a 1000 miles.

Saw that this is from STL - thinking there must be availability somewhere...

Any ideas?  Help with finding some?

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    At this time, he is only selling in a few stores in the St. Louis area, or you can contact him and he will ship a pallet to you.  So, you would need to organize a group buy unless you really want a lot.
    The Naked Whiz
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    The whizz says its only available at a dozen or so stores in his review. He is on the forum @stlcharcoal. I know in the past he will ship you a pallet maybe time to do a group buy being in Texas you have a lot of eggers around
  • baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    I had a pallet shipped to me, and split it among several people.  So far I have used 1 bag, and I like it a lot - better than Wicked Good!  I have done several high temp cooks, and it burns very well with little ash.  Mild smoke flavor.  Have only done 1 low and slow for about 6 hours, and it worked very nice.  It comes up to temp very fast, and so far I have no complaints. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Just send me your ZIP and I'll get you a shipping quote.  30 bags, 20-lbs each.

A business address will save you a lot of money on delivery.  Residential and liftgate service add big bucks.  Or you could to the nearest trucking depot to pick it up--location depends on the cheapest carrier.

If you really need to try it first, I can ship three bags in the boxes I have.  They get beat up pretty bad, so this is why I do not ship them very often.  It's not very economical, it's a pain for me, I cannot guarantee the quality, etc.  Roll the dice and get a whole pallet--you won't be disappointed.

Send me an email through my website......link below.  Include your ZIP and how 3-bag boxes or 30-bag pallets you would like to order.  Thanks!!

• The Naked Whiz
    FWIW, the bag you shipped me in a box arrived in excellent condition, evidenced by the fact that the bag only had < 5% chips and dust.  That's about as good as it gets.
    The Naked Whiz
  • boatbum

A business address will save you a lot of money on delivery.  Residential and liftgate service add big bucks.  Or you could to the nearest trucking depot to pick it up--location depends on the cheapest carrier.

If you really need to try it first, I can ship three bags in the boxes I have.  They get beat up pretty bad, so this is why I do not ship them very often.  It's not very economical, it's a pain for me, I cannot guarantee the quality, etc.  Roll the dice and get a whole pallet--you won't be disappointed.

Send me an email through my website......link below.  Include your ZIP and how 3-bag boxes or 30-bag pallets you would like to order.  Thanks!!

Going off to the website to send an email.   Thank you all for the response.

Thank you Naked Whiz for the wealth of information that you have on your website.

Cookin in Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    edited June 2013

@TheNaked Whiz

You got lucky.....some of the pictures I have gotten back look like the box went through a war zone!!  It's not so much the impacts, it's the overall agitation of the bag.

There's still a lot of good charcoal still in the bag, but I just don't like entrusting someone for that final leg of the journey.  I know they're good leaving the warehouse, but then it's a gamble.

• The Naked Whiz
    No, you got lucky, LOL!  I'm surprised you didn't drive it personally to Raleigh to ensure a quality bag!
    :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • stlcharcoal
    No, you got lucky, LOL!  I'm surprised you didn't drive it personally to Raleigh to ensure a quality bag!
    :)

I was going to ship one via USPS, one via UPS, and one via FedEx......but then got worried they would all show up beat to hell.  Hahahaha    :((

You almost got a whole pallet stacked on a bunch of old mattresses.

• JVAV
    JVAV Posts: 18
    I'd be interested in a group buy in Colorado if if we could get enough people. Saw the NW review and really want to try it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'll be getting some rockwood Friday.. Will use it this weekend and review it compared to Ozark Oak.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal

henapple said:
    I'll be getting some rockwood Friday.. Will use it this weekend and review it compared to Ozark Oak.

Are you going by DLK's in Nashville or ???  Sorry, just wanted to make sure I didn't forget something-- like you coming through STL on Friday!!!  :)
  • henapple
    Having lunch later this week.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I got all my wicked good through the mail packed 3 bags to a box with good luck.  I can certainly understand that it is a pain to sell it that way compared to a pallet.  But it's a good way to spread the word around, especially to eggers not located near a bunch of fellow followers of this forum.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • boatbum said:

Going off to the website to send an email.   Thank you all for the response.

Thank you Naked Whiz for the wealth of information that you have on your website.

If you put together a group buy for North Texas I would be interested in a few bags.
  • boatbum
    I have some on the way - will try it when it gets here.   What prompted me was the NakedWhiz review.  Will post back after a couple of cooks.
    Cookin in Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    Ragtop99 said: 
    I got all my wicked good through the mail packed 3 bags to a box with good luck.  I can certainly understand that it is a pain to sell it that way compared to a pallet.  But it's a good way to spread the word around, especially to eggers not located near a bunch of fellow followers of this forum.

I completely agree with you, but it's hard for me to dedicate all the time to quote, invoice, pack, and ship 3 bags at a time straight to consumers.  We're just not set up for that.  Rockwood was a little brand I set up for STL area retailers that wanted a hometown brand vs. the generic bags or private label we were doing for competition teams.  It gained popularity a lot faster than I ever expected, so I'm trying to adjust to take this from a local brand to a national brand.  I already have dealers ordering several pallets a month, and have been in talks with distributors about truckload(s) a month.

I am actively looking for a third party online site to handle these less-than-pallet orders.  So far, no one locally is interest due to the size of the bag.  I have 10-lbs bags in the works for next season, so those will be able to be shipped a lot easier.

So, bear with us as we grow.  If I could ship out individual bags efficiently and economically, I would do it.......but I cannot at this point.  I will work with you guys as best I can, but the only sure fire way to get Rockwood at this point is to put together a group buy and get a pallet coming.

• boatbum

Wow, just checked my shipping status - I am cooking by the weekend -  thank you very much.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Big box just showed up.   I have Rockwood charcoal.  Cooking with it tonight....
    Cookin in Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @stlcharcoal: seems like good things are being said about Rockwood, and you've been a straight shooter on the forum (very informative as well). If you're looking for distributors or retail points, have you considered Academy? I know nothing about the charcoal biz (insert WG jab here), but I would buy/use it if I could

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    boatbum said:
    Big box just showed up.   I have Rockwood charcoal.  Cooking with it tonight....

Glad to hear it was still recognizable as a box.  Shipping this stuff freaks me out......I can't assure quality once it leaves the warehouse.  :(

Let me know what you think!

• stlcharcoal
    caliking said:
    @stlcharcoal: seems like good things are being said about Rockwood, and you've been a straight shooter on the forum (very informative as well). If you're looking for distributors or retail points, have you considered Academy? I know nothing about the charcoal biz (insert WG jab here), but I would buy/use it if I could

Who is Academy?  Are they a food service distributor?

• Toolmaster
    Toolmaster Posts: 41
    Try Absco in Birmingham. See if they will start selling it. They sell BGE .
    I went to bed last night mean and woke up meaner !  
    "Matt Dillon"

• henapple

caliking said:

Who is Academy?  Are they a food service distributor?

Academy Sport...
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Academy is a large outdoor products store.  Great prices carry lots of grills and accessories.  Based in TX, Katy I think.  Academy.com.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    As the others said, its Academy Sports. They have stores in some southern states. The store by me has a sizeable bbq section. The stores are nice and have good prices on the products they carry.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • boatbum
    last night was cook # 1 with rockwood, tonight working on cook # 2... so far so good.
    Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    2 cooks, liking this. Been burning 7,8 hours now. Left it going -- interested to see if it will core, dome at 250 as I am going to bed. It does light well. Was able to start, stabilize without ever going over 250 on the dome. Not every charcoal will do that. Cooking again tomorrow.
    Cookin in Texas
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Ok just got a 20# bag at ACE for $24.99

What is this stuff best for?  Long low amf slows or hi heat searing?