Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

great ribs ...finally

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I've had the egg for around a year and have never had those "oh hell yeah" ribs. Met steven,(@skellis614) delivering OO and he was generous enough to give me some Head Country sauce and rub. Went to pick up some baby back ribs but Kroger's had spares on sale at $1.70 lb. Had them cut to St Louis, cut and trimmed them a little more at home. I was running a little late so i went with a turbo...1 hour 40 min at 350, (did not pull the membrane) 1 hour wrapped and coated with honey. smothered in the Head Country sauce for around 30 minutes. OMG, by far the best ribs not only i've ever cooked but some of the best i have ever tasted.

Had a lot more pics but they wouldn't load. I would compete with these ribs. I may never cook baby backs again. Every family member took one bite and just looked at each other....i have had my huge share of ok ribs, these we're unbelievable. My neighbor is always bringing me samples of his spare ribs...he was dumbfounded. His daughter said she didnt like ribs but tried them. Her first words were, "i like the smoke flavor". Soon, he will buy an egg. I realize it wasn't me but the egg and advice from here...plus the HC spice but damn, i was pleased...finally.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Sounds awesome, thanks for the post.

You did NOT pull the membrane? Why? I've never heard of that as a way to make better ribs before.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That is some awesome stuff henapple! As mentioned at dinner, I recently switched to St. Louis cut and I don't see myself going back to BB.

It's always good when home runs are validated by the family! Great job!

Is your cole slaw homemade? Should I try HC? I've heard good things!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Oh, and I just laughed about the membrane. "I love that little treat at the end!" Never heard explained that way before!
  • henapple
    That Head Country is the shiznit. I didn't pull the membrane at the foil point like turbo ribs... It made absolutely no difference.
  • cazzy

Sounds awesome, thanks for the post.

You did NOT pull the membrane? Why? I've never heard of that as a way to make better ribs before.

Cheers -
    B_B
    There are many camps on membrane on or off. I have talked to a few pit masters who make ribs I enjoy. They all have membranes intact.

They claim they leave them on to lock in the juices. I also think its easier when you're prepping 100's of racks.
  • henapple
    I usually like one rack at a time... Sure there have been those multiple rack times but one rack usually holds my attention.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    have you never been to a beach man?!  Oh yeah, you were just there.
    edited June 2013
    Cen, did you notice if Franklin's ribs are membrane on or off?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If you think that was good, wait till you try it without foiling.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited June 2013
    I speak only for myself.  I just started doing ribs and came to the oppinion that they are an easy cook.  Maybe my standards are low, but I sure enjoy what I've done.  I don't remove the membrane, and I marinate overnight in Dichickos Garlic.  These are so good I guess if I had really good ribs I would drop dead on the spot
    :D

On edit, I feel like a dirty thread hijacker.  Sounds like like you had one of those "oh yeah" cooks.  Congrats!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

Personally I think I prefer the membrane on.  I think it keeps in more of the juices.  Grats on your great cook Henapple!

• henapple

If you think that was good, wait till you try it without foiling.

It's always gotta be "Travis" style doesn't it?

@sookie... Still think of Dwight Yoakum when I see your handle. Hehe.... Ahhhhhh Sookie.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Tony we need to get "Short Travis" a shirt that says: Travis Style.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    henapple said:
    I've had the egg for around a year and have never had those "oh hell yeah" ribs. Met steven,(@skellis614) delivering OO and he was generous enough to give me some Head Country sauce and rub. Went to pick up some baby back ribs but Kroger's had spares on sale at $1.70 lb. Had them cut to St Louis, cut and trimmed them a little more at home. I was running a little late so i went with a turbo...1 hour 40 min at 350, (did not pull the membrane) 1 hour wrapped and coated with honey. smothered in the Head Country sauce for around 30 minutes. OMG, by far the best ribs not only i've ever cooked but some of the best i have ever tasted.

Had a lot more pics but they wouldn't load. I would compete with these ribs. I may never cook baby backs again. Every family member took one bite and just looked at each other....i have had my huge share of ok ribs, these we're unbelievable. My neighbor is always bringing me samples of his spare ribs...he was dumbfounded. His daughter said she didnt like ribs but tried them. Her first words were, "i like the smoke flavor". Soon, he will buy an egg. I realize it wasn't me but the egg and advice from here...plus the HC spice but damn, i was pleased...finally.

My pics wouldn't post on my spaghetti post... Ribs looks delish man
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Looks good. Think you just put st Louis style ribs on my weekend menu. I always foil for an hour but I go low and slow with 3-1-till its done method. Can't wait for Saturday ribs now.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Congrats.  Look great
    MBGE in Charleston

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Having done what I consider to be good ribs a couple of times, both spares and bb's... I really can't see much difference in membrane vs none...

I have just decided to leave it on and save the frustration and cursing for some other issue :)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looking good Henapple! I'm thinking bout doing spares for the 4th.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• henapple
    @cazzy... My wife the coleslaw. Asian coleslaw... Really good.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I could be totally off base but I seem to remember someone telling me to pull the membrane if cooking below 275*, if going above that temp, don't waste your time pulling it. Could be the beer talking though.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited June 2013
    The hallelujah moments in cooking are awesome. Great plate.

I have been cooking spares for the past couple of years now, because babybacks just werent turning out right. Spares seem to always be consistently good. I like mine dry rubbed - indirect, untrimmed, membrane on, 300 for about 3 hrs and its goodness every time.

Also, if you get a chance to try it, the Head Country Hot version is pretty good. Someone might give you some if you ever come to Houston bearing OO...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I am glad you had great sucess this time Henapple. They look great. I find egg cooking kinda like golf. One amazing cook is like the one great shot and keeps you hooked and wanting more.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    They look great man!  I am gonna have to give the spares another shot as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Do you have to have a butcher trim them to St. Louis style or can it be done at home? Those look great.
  • henapple
    YouTube trimming spare ribs... Easy.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Beaumonty said:
    Do you have to have a butcher trim them to St. Louis style or can it be done at home? Those look great.

If i'm cooking for a crowd, i just cook the whole untrimmed rack of spares. If its just me and SWMBO, I trim the flap and freeze for use in other dishes (stir fry, fried rice, etc) and the rib tips get frozen for the next time I feel like eating ribs. Get 3 cooks out of 1 full rack of spares.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Congrats on the rib cook, @henapple. The majority of the time, we do spares. Been pulling the membrane for years, not much of a hassle for me. maybe I should leave it on once, I just don't like it when I eat them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Haven't tried cooking with membrane on yet but will give it a shot to save time. I have had restaurant ribs with membrane on that ruined my experience bc it was chewy and slimy
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • henapple
    RLeeper said:

Haven't tried cooking with membrane on yet but will give it a shot to save time. I have had restaurant ribs with membrane on that ruined my experience bc it was chewy and slimy

Rendezvous has a crisp membrane. I'd only leave it on doing turbo ribs