Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat cap up or down?

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737

I'm going to put on a couple of 6.5lb butts tonight for an overnighter. Is there a preferred fat cap placement? Fat cap up or down?

Thanks for the advice.

LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    I go with down, that way as it melts it will not wash your rub away.
    Edina, MN

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    Down for me but it doesn't really matter.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I think  finally believe I prefer up  ... If you have two similar, I'd love to see a one up, one down.  Worst case scenario, if you can really tell that much just blend them.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    edited June 2013
    Options

I cut as much as I can off before I start.  I don't think it has any value - runs down the side and into the drip pan as it melts.  Its the internal fat that makes it moist.  Less of a mess if I just cut it off.

Cookin in Texas
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    boatbum said:

I cut as much as I can off before I start.  I don't think it has any value - runs down the side and into the drip pan as it melts.  Its the internal fat that makes it moist.  Less of a mess if I just cut it off.

+1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Acn said:

+1
    +2

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    Options
    yes to fat cap question....... just get it on the grill my friend and it will all work out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    Options

Acn said:

boatbum said:

+1

+2

+3

I had been putting it up but the end result was a little more greasy than I like. My last one I cut most of it off. The whole family liked it better that way. I will cut mine off in the future.
    Columbia, SC

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Down here, but i turbo cook my butts and the fat melts away.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will trim and turn what is left down.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've been doing down, so when it sticks, I only lose fat.  I wonder if it would stick less with less fat though. /shrug. I'm going to try trimming it next time.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum