Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fat cap up or down?

tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737

I'm going to put on a couple of 6.5lb butts tonight for an overnighter. Is there a preferred fat cap placement? Fat cap up or down?

Thanks for the advice.

LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 523
    I go with down, that way as it melts it will not wash your rub away.
    Edina, MN

• yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 374
    Down for me but it doesn't really matter.
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    I think  finally believe I prefer up  ... If you have two similar, I'd love to see a one up, one down.  Worst case scenario, if you can really tell that much just blend them.
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    edited June 2013

I cut as much as I can off before I start.  I don't think it has any value - runs down the side and into the drip pan as it melts.  Its the internal fat that makes it moist.  Less of a mess if I just cut it off.

Cookin in Texas
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,079
    boatbum said:

I cut as much as I can off before I start.  I don't think it has any value - runs down the side and into the drip pan as it melts.  Its the internal fat that makes it moist.  Less of a mess if I just cut it off.

+1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,081
    Acn said:

+1
    +2

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    edited June 2013
    yes to fat cap question....... just get it on the grill my friend and it will all work out.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• sariverssarivers Posts: 67

Acn said:

boatbum said:

+1

+2

+3

I had been putting it up but the end result was a little more greasy than I like. My last one I cut most of it off. The whole family liked it better that way. I will cut mine off in the future.
    Columbia, SC

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Down...
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013
    Down here, but i turbo cook my butts and the fat melts away.
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will trim and turn what is left down.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 1,435
    I've been doing down, so when it sticks, I only lose fat.  I wonder if it would stick less with less fat though. /shrug. I'm going to try trimming it next time.
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt