Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen - Worth It?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If I had it to do again, I would pass. I am obviously in the minority, but my old Taylor (I think) was just fine. For me, the t-pen was a waste of 100 bucks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    It's kind of funny, I used to be pretty good at getting steaks right by feel but I don't think I could even get close now.

I know what you mean, I used to feel my meat alot - now I just probe away.  Thermapen changed how to cook.
    Cookin in Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just don't try using an instant read on Hell's Kitchen - you'll get called an idiot donkey. ;)
    If I had it to do again, I would pass. I am obviously in the minority, but my old Taylor (I think) was just fine. For me, the t-pen was a waste of 100 bucks.

I've held back from buying a Thermapen for a long time. Have been using the Thermoworks RT600c for several years and it is quite comparable to the Thermapen, sans the colors and coolness factor. I'm okay with waiting a whole 3 secs more for getting a temp. The difference in price was worth it for me ($20 vs. $100).

I am seriously considering getting the backlit Thermapen though. Would be a no-brainer for me if it had a timer built in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    get one, in superfast red! It made me a better cook, I am not a good cook by feel.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • nolaegghead
    Just don't try using an instant read on Hell's Kitchen - you'll get called an idiot donkey. ;)
    don't wait any longer get one today. start by cooking to temp not time or looks. it works. 
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Here is my new baby.  Just waiting on the stork to deliver her.  Come to Papa...  Thanks folks!

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/backlit_thermapen.html

Milton, GA.
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Absolutely yes, I got the black one with FLAMES!  What can I say, I ride a Harley too!

:D
  • YnT
    YnT Posts: 10
    My secret of Egging success.....
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Best tool in the drawer
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Just ordered mine as well. Should be here for the 4th. Thanks for all the advice. Lurking does pay off. m
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • ambrodsky
    ambrodsky Posts: 19
    I use mine all the time.  I give them to people as gifts as well and they always ask me "why didn't I get one of these sooner".
  • I have used a  "Super Fast" Thermapen  for about two years and will not go back to other means of measuring temperature in meats and baked goods. I had a remote type probe, a traditional cooking thermometer but neither compare in accuracy or speed. Like all instruments the T pen can get out of calibration but you can check it yourself following the instruction booklet or if your like me going online.   BE THAT WHAT - cooking is both science and art you the cook have to pay attention to what you are doing. Our tastes vary so using someone else's recommendations may not work for you. I am a bit anal so when I bought my BGE I started using a notebook to record each BGE cooking experience. I am sure some will laugh but I have learned a lot about what works for me and my family. When the grandson's say "pop-pops" chicken is the best that's the best feedback I can get.
  • I've been cooking since my restaurant days to pay for college, and I got the thermapen a couple of months ago. I wish I had gotten it 15 years ago. British racing green IS fast!
  • Hokiejacket
    Hokiejacket Posts: 154
    Well I'm sold. Just ordered the white backlit one.

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I love mine and use it all the time for cooking, baking, home brewing... 

... but the funny thing is I can never use it for steaks. Any time I try to cook to temperature when doing high-heat, high-speed grilling, I make a complete mess of it. Weird things will happen like I measure 125F and the steak ends up well done anyway. 

I think I am completely underestimating how much the outer heat carries through to the center of the meat. 

Anyway, all I am saying is the Thermapen may not be a silver bullet for your steaks. I bet it will have its own learning curve. However, they are still awesome and you should have one. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I've had one for about 2 years. It's really an essential piece of equipment for the serious cook. Takes a lot of the guess work out of cooking.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Lurking and learning. Just ordered mine.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Looks like a lot of new folks ordered the t-pen.  I can't wait to try it so let's see how it works for everyone.  Doing steaks tonight again - T-pen not here yet so I will see how it goes.  BTW, When I looked at the specs on line, it looked like all of the colors are the same speed unless I'm missing something.

Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob said:

Looks like a lot of new folks ordered the t-pen.  I can't wait to try it so let's see how it works for everyone.  Doing steaks tonight again - T-pen not here yet so I will see how it goes.  BTW, When I looked at the specs on line, it looked like all of the colors are the same speed unless I'm missing something.

Not true at all. The one with flames is widely accepted as the fastest ;)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    @flynbob People here love the TP.  I have one, and it is amazing!  With that being said, it is another high end piece if equipment that add's to the quiver and makes my stuff cooler than the next guys or at least the un-initiated (just like my 2 BGE's).  

I marvel at the speed & accuracy of the TP, but must say that if I was stranded on a island with my eggs, plenty of lump, & fantastic meats, I may bring this as a temp accessory instead:

IMHO I do a lot of roasting (Reverse sear, Spatchock, Pork Loin, etc) and am more interested in bringing my meat to a specific temp and watching the temp with the dome closed than constantly poking with the hand-held.

Also- when I got my TP, I paid a few bucks extra and got the glow in the dark magnetic cover/holder so I can keep it on the fridge.  Pretty cool to get up in the middle of the night and see the TP glowing away on the fridge-  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I love mine and use it all the time for cooking, baking, home brewing... 

... but the funny thing is I can never use it for steaks. Any time I try to cook to temperature when doing high-heat, high-speed grilling, I make a complete mess of it. Weird things will happen like I measure 125F and the steak ends up well done anyway. 

I think I am completely underestimating how much the outer heat carries through to the center of the meat. 

Anyway, all I am saying is the Thermapen may not be a silver bullet for your steaks. I bet it will have its own learning curve. However, they are still awesome and you should have one. 
    If your steaks are 1.75 inches thick or thicker the thermapen works great from the top of the steak.  If you have less than 1.75 inches thick, come in from the side and it is easier to gauge the center.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Just ordered one, got overnight shipping so I get it before the 4th.  $100 seems like a lot but I'm so tired of waiting forever on my cheap ones.  Hope I like it as much as you guys. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    You'll love it.  Draw a hello kitty on it like I did (with a sharpie), makes it faster. 
    And don't paint a hello kitty on your buddy's car.  He and his daughter thought it was hilarious (junk car) but his wife didn't. 

A week later, I painted over it to appease the buddy wife lady. 

Everyone will tell you the Thermapen is a must.

I bought one and I rarely use it. 

In fact I only use it when I do the occasional Butt or Brisket. I tend to like my food a little more well done (chicken-well, steak-medium, ribs firm, etc...) so the Thermapen doesn't do me much good because 99% of the time I can tell if my food is cooked to my liking by a combination of time, texture, color and firmness. 

When I do steaks, I do the old thumb meat method, by gently touching the steak to see how mushy it is relative to my thumb joint. 

I guess it's the old school in me but I cringe at the thought of sticking a big hole in my steak and letting any of my precious juices out....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • And don't paint a hello kitty on your buddy's car.  He and his daughter thought it was hilarious (junk car) but his wife didn't. 

I didn't see a "like a lot button" so that's what this is.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    And don't paint a hello kitty on your buddy's car.  He and his daughter thought it was hilarious (junk car) but his wife didn't. 

I didn't see a "like a lot button" so that's what this is.
    My friend on the right (that's me on the left) sits next to me at work.  He was driving this old beater into the ground because his wife gets all the new cars...In all fairness, she's pretty hot.  Anyway, just to help him out, I fixed the AC and brakes and, since the car was at my casa for the weekend, I did a little custom paint as an encore.