Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Thermapen - Worth It?

Serious cooking question - I am a fairly good cook by feel guy but steaks at high temp are really tricky. Did ribeyes tonight and undercooked them a tad - had to put back on for a minute or so but not acceptable in my book. My SWMBO suggested that I need to get a thermapen so I can take the hint.  Looks like they are all the same model - any advice?  Also, I have a Polder digital for roasts, etc.  What is the best in your book that also has replacement probes as they seem to burn out or break on me?  I have found it hard to find good thermometers .
Milton, GA.
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    thermapen for checking meat temps get the British racing green its the fastest and bbq guru for low and slow guarding 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,688
    +1 on the thermapen. we use it all the time both on the egg and oven
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 581
    hapster said:
    Yes...

Get the new one with the back lit display
    Thanks, Brother - I can't see as well as I used to, especially after a beer or two...
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Yes +1. Only item more impactful is the egg itself.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    NEVER doubt the words of SWMBO --------------   "YES" ------------------  "by feel"  has too many variables with feel of a good piece of meat!
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    If I could have only one egg eggcessory, i'd be the thermopen.  Everything else is nice to have, thermapen (or similar device) is a must for making really great food -- finishing temperature is EVERYTHING.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,966
    Most used cooking item in my house
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • kidcowboykidcowboy Posts: 11
    +1 for thermapen.  Got mine a few weeks ago and it's worth every penny.  I also got the back lit one.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,720
    100% worth it Flynn! Whenever I begin a cook, it's the first thing I look for. I would give up every accessory just to keep my thermapen!
    Just a hack that makes some shitty BBQ...
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,082
    Definitely worth it.  My wife uses it inside as much as I use it for the BGE. 
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 581
    Thanks, I think I will go with the backlit display per hapster.  Any thoughts on a good digital probe for roasts?
    Milton, GA.
    ·
    flynnbob said:

Thanks, I think I will go with the backlit display per hapster.  Any thoughts on a good digital probe for roasts?

I have the regular but will pick up the back lit one.

Pick up the maverick et-732 off of amazon
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,013
    An emphatic yes.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • phoenix007phoenix007 Posts: 49
    +1 on ThermaPen. Accurate readouts in 2-3 seconds.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,661
    Listen to SWMBO, she is right.
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    My old Thermapen will not die. Same original battery and all !  So old I cannot tell you when I got it. Maybe I can arrange an "accident"  so I can get a new backlit one.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • Do it!!! Get the super fast red one. Works great!!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
    ·

Do it!!! Get the super fast red one. Works great!!

Holy Long forum handle Batman!!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,184
    Springram said:

My old Thermapen will not die. Same original battery and all !  So old I cannot tell you when I got it. Maybe I can arrange an "accident"  so I can get a new backlit one.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    I've been having similar thoughts :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,464
    Number two item only to the Egg. Everyone should have it even without the Egg. In full answer to your question: YES
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Hmm backlit? 
    Then I can officially turnover ol'red to SWMBO'd  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    flynnbob said:

You are catching on REAL FAST   #1)  Listen to SWMBO
                                                           # 2)  Follow Hapser's advice
    BTW: The pink one is twice as fast as the "red" one. 

·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 364

I never knew what a Thermapen was until I joined this forum.  Now, every time I watch a cooking show (especially BBQ Pitmasters) I've noticed that just about everyone has one.

That's been the biggest lesson learned:  cook to temp, not time.   I wish I'd learned that 15 years ago.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • zosobao5150zosobao5150 Posts: 114
    Yes.  The red one is definitely work it.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,190
    edited June 2013
    All Thermoworks products are first rate. The Thermapen is the best instant read thermo, used to check final temps, it is not meant to be left in the food. 
    The TW8060 is a great pit and food thermo that is in my opinion, virtually indestructible. It is not a remote like the Maverick which does have some probe issues like your Polder. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 91
    Yes, they're worth it. They react fast enough that you can tell when you've hit the lowest temp in the cut of meat as you're pushing the probe in. With my old thermometer I had a harder time telling if I was getting the real internal temp or the hotter temp towards the outside of the food.
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Yes...
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,923
    It's kind of funny, I used to be pretty good at getting steaks right by feel but I don't think I could even get close now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BGEGPBGEGP Posts: 46
    Love mine, use it all the time.  It has made me a better cook.
    ·