Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st post 1st butt

Options
I've been lurking since about a week before I purchased my LBGE which was been 3 weeks ago. After seeing the community here and all the good food cooked I just had to have one!! I've done quite a few cooks so far: ribs, pork loin, burgers, steaks, spathcock and beer but chicken. Today I decided on a butt or actually 2 of them!

I trimmed the fat down a little bit last night, lightly oiled them and put a very generous amount of my home made rub on them. In the fridge they went for the night. It's 5:30am here right now and I just lit the egg. Nothing like watching it stabilize with a nice sunrise!

I need them off by 3:30-4:00 so that's only around 8 hours... They are both 5.5 lbs each. After reading I may end up doing a semi turbo, 225 for the first 4 house because I have to go to work till noon, then crank them and foil when I get back.

Well anyways I wanted to say hi and see if I could get a picture posted from my Iphone! I'll post a couple pics when it's all done

Comments

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    Can't wait to hear how the cook goes.  I'd rather make the people wait for great pulled pork, than be on time for okay pulled pork.  Sounds like you have it under control.  Keep us posted.  

(Try to let them rest and cool down slowly before pulling them.)
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    +1 on rest. To me that is the most important part of a good butt. Get it up around 200-205 but then give it bare minimum one hour. I like to have at least two if I can. Man I love a good butt!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard-and when you get close, check each one as they will finish at different times.  Best finish indicator is when the bone pulls with no resistance.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    After they are foiled you can "kind of"(?) determine the finish time by adjusting the cooking temperature up or down.  But always include at least an hour for resting the meat.  Welcome Aboard.
  • EgginMisfit
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. So much to learn that I'll never be bored
  • EgginMisfit
    Options
    Turned out pretty good. Was rushed so foiled and cranked to 325 for an hour. I feel it would have been more tender cooked 225 all the way but who knows. Either way the flavor was great and it was a big hit!! Now I'm enjoying a cigar and a few cold ones. Cooking on the egg has really been a good way to slow down and relax in life. I couldn't be happier with the back yard edition!
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Amd to that!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN