Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Big Green Egg Rookie

I have finally purchased a LBGE and love it. I have made some great spatchcock chicken and failed miserably on some steaks and pork chops. If any of you would like to share some of your best recipes and advice, the info would be greatly appreciated.
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Welcome aboard @Aquacop. Take a look around. This board is filled with recipes and advice on everything from classic low and slow bbq, to baking to pizzas. Use the search button and it will keep you busy for as long as your attention span will last.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 643
    Welcome aboard. Cook more, you'll get better fast. Calibrate your dome thermo. Use the best lump you can get. People have already posted their favorite recipes - the search function is your friend. Keep plenty of cold beer on hand for egg days. Make more food than you think you will need - friends and neighbors will suddenly show up out of nowhere.
    ·
  • cheech5001cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Welcome!

For steaks I really suggest the reverse sear method- No fail every time, and some of the best steaks I have ever produced/eaten!
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Welcome and enjoy the ride.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • 70chevelle70chevelle Posts: 278

In addition to the above, get a good thermometer so you can cook the steaks to the doneness you want.  Make sure you let the bad smoke clear and the egg heat up well before you start cooking. 

What was the problem with the steak and chops? 

·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 467
    Welcome!

For steaks I really suggest the reverse sear method- No fail every time, and some of the best steaks I have ever produced/eaten!
    Reverse sear?
    ·

In addition to the above, get a good thermometer so you can cook the steaks to the doneness you want.  Make sure you let the bad smoke clear and the egg heat up well before you start cooking. 

What was the problem with the steak and chops? 

Poor temperature management, over-cooked both

·
    Thanks for all the comments, please keep them coming
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,343
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
    Thanks grege345
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,343
    I only brined them for two hours. That's about the limit of my patience.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·