Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Water pan?

I'm still in the learning phase as I switch from my WSM, the posts and pictures are a huge help.

One thing I noticed here is folks are not using water pans, something I did use in the WSM. Is not needing a water pan this part of the magic of the Egg?

Thanks

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2013
    Not needed at all. I dont know the nerd speak to explain why. You will just have to take my word for it. 

EDIT: You may want to use one as a drip pan. The water keeping the drippings from burning. I dont but some do. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The explanation that made the most sense to me was that since the egg holds heat so much better, there is less airflow thru the egg.  Airflow is what steals the moisture.  Hence less airflow, less moisture loss.  I use a drip pan without water for the drippings but make sure there is an air gap so the drippings don't burn.  I also line it with foil for easy clean-up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Forgot to ask.  Where in NJ you located.  Lived up there when I was trying to grow up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I cooked on a Weber kettle for years. Low & slow, the whole 9 yards. Water baths were standard issue. Believe me, not so with the egg. Like Travis said, some do in drip pans to prevent nasty drip smoke, but I simply put a spacer between the pan & platesetter. Problem solved without messing with any water.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• NJ_BBQNJ_BBQ Posts: 77
    Forgot to ask.  Where in NJ you located.  Lived up there when I was trying to grow up.
    Basking Ridge, central state.