Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water pan?

Options
I'm still in the learning phase as I switch from my WSM, the posts and pictures are a huge help.

One thing I noticed here is folks are not using water pans, something I did use in the WSM. Is not needing a water pan this part of the magic of the Egg?

Thanks
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Not needed at all. I dont know the nerd speak to explain why. You will just have to take my word for it. 

EDIT: You may want to use one as a drip pan. The water keeping the drippings from burning. I dont but some do. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    The explanation that made the most sense to me was that since the egg holds heat so much better, there is less airflow thru the egg.  Airflow is what steals the moisture.  Hence less airflow, less moisture loss.  I use a drip pan without water for the drippings but make sure there is an air gap so the drippings don't burn.  I also line it with foil for easy clean-up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Forgot to ask.  Where in NJ you located.  Lived up there when I was trying to grow up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I cooked on a Weber kettle for years. Low & slow, the whole 9 yards. Water baths were standard issue. Believe me, not so with the egg. Like Travis said, some do in drip pans to prevent nasty drip smoke, but I simply put a spacer between the pan & platesetter. Problem solved without messing with any water.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Forgot to ask.  Where in NJ you located.  Lived up there when I was trying to grow up.
    Basking Ridge, central state. 
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB