Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt 33lbs worth!

rjfalskirjfalski Posts: 13
edited June 2013 in Pork
Hey there BGE'rs,

I've had my large BGE since November of 2012 and I've probably have cooked more on it since getting it than the gas grill I'd had for years.  Truly love the thing and my dad even bought one a month after I got mine.  Anyway, enough of that here's my cook.

My friend from work asked if I would cook some pork butt for his son's graduation. He wanted 4 butts and I wasn't even sure it would all fit. Of course I relied on all the support from this site to help me out and what I found was what i needed to make it a success; so thank all of you who have posted on here.

I was excited to do so...However, I was a bit nervous of cooking it because the last two I cooked, the egg went out...More so because I just wouldn't leave it alone. I kept messing with the vents to maintain 220-250. So I ended up forking out some more BG Money and got the DigiQ you see in the pictures.  That makes cooking idiot proof.  Set the temp and let er rip....I kid you not, I set the temp at 225 and it stayed there the entire cook. (24hrs) it took two hours to get to 225, but once it was there...it stayed.  Certainly one of those "Cool aint Cheap" devices I'd certainly recommend.

Anyway, I used a concoction rub another buddy gave me to rub the butts.  I call it "Butt Dust" It was a mixture of paprika salt, sugar, chili powder etc. I rubbed all 4 butts the night before and let them set in the fridge.  I stayed home from work on Friday (poor me huh?) to cook these guys.

I fired up the Egg around 10 am and planned for a 24 hour cook.  He needed the goods by noon..and the party was at 3pm on Saturday.  I didn't want to be late and figured if they finished early, i could just stick them in a cooler wrapped in towels, which i ended up doing.

After putting some water in some drip pans I just let them cook...I didn't look till the temp got to 197 and here are pictures.

I wrapped each butt in foil and then a towel.. I placed them in a cooler and brought them to my buddy and his kid.  Of course i "tasted" some of it and what can I say?????? AWESOME... Not only that, everyone wanted to know how i did it....Really? I didn't do anything other than let the EGG do it's magic. No secrets, no fancy technique or any other "TOP SECRET" formula other than "Rub it and Stick it in!" 

So there ya have it. Enjoy.
imageimageimageimage
butts4.JPG 412.9K
butts3.JPG 249.9K
butts2.JPG 387.1K
butts1.JPG 719.4K
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Great low and slow cook, and looks fantastic. I used to do 24 hour plus 225 dome cooks for pork, however most recently have been going turbo with excellent results. Every once in a while go back to the long cook just because its impressive to show the Egg will stay stable that long (I don't use ant electronic controller, just set it and forget it)
  • rjfalskirjfalski Posts: 13
    I only got the controller because i couldn't afford to mess it up for my buddy....It did give me some time to do other things around the house....
    ·
  • I love pork butts. It is really easy and kind of hard to mess up but beyond that, I think it is my favorite cook. I like it fresh, frozen, reheated, in pizza, in quesadillas.... can't go wrong with a butt.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    I love my controller, overnight cooks produce the bark that turbo cooks do not, I did 38 lbs a couple of weeks ago and everyone was really impressed.
    image.jpg 252.3K
    ·
  • How was it served? Thanks for the inspiration and photos. How long would just one butt take?
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    One butt takes about the same time as four.  Each one cooks independently.  Key is to check tenp of each for doneness.  Small one may take longer than bigger one.  Each hunk of meat acts differently.  
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,007
    Awesome. You have some nice butt.

If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,454
    @Hotwingking, nicely done. And on an AR without a grid extender too it looks like. Is your indirect piece on a spider down on the firebox?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,891
    @rjfalski the butts look great!  What is your set up?  I see the grill dome extender.  It looks like your main grid is below the felt line.  Are you using the plate setter?  Did you remove the fire ring or perhaps have the reduced ring?  Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·

I used the typical set up. Charcoal up to the top of the fire ring, plate setter upside down and the standard grill for the bottom two.  I picked up a grill extender from Amazon for the top two butts. Other than that, the set up was "stock" no spider or reduced fire ring size. 

I did use two aluminum pans underneath to catch all the drippings.  Set the DigiQ to 225 and let er rip. and that's it.

imageimageimage
    fire.JPG 2.1M
    PS.jpg 304.5K
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,891
    My fire ring doesn't have those notches for the plate setter to sit in, so when I add the plate setter the grid is flush with the felt line.  Did you cut in those notches or do they come that way now?   I haven't seen that before.  It's a great idea- gives you more space. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • TwoCooksTwoCooks Posts: 35
    rj, What a friend you are to do such a cook!  The butts looked fabulous, lucky people who got an invite to that graduation party.  Just one "Q", "Were there any leftovers?" Mmmmmmmmmm
    ·

The fire ring comes with notches in it now and no, leftovers?????? What's that? ;-)

·
  • WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    LOOKS AWESOME

A++
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

·
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    @Chubbs, yes I use a spider with a small pizza stone and a drip pan on top, then place the AR, Works very well for me.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,779
    Nicely Done. No leftovers is a good sign.
    ·
  • Man, that looked awesome!! I need to get that second cooking rack.
    ·
    Amazon is where i ordered it from
    ·
  • shadowcastershadowcaster Posts: 561
    rjfalski said:
    Amazon is where i ordered it from
    Is that a extender made for the BGE or did you just buy something that would fit?
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·

I bought this item.... http://www.grilldomeeshop.com/Grill-Extender-Small.html

it works fine

·
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,007
    That's some nice butts you have there :)

Grill extender... hmmm?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • shadowcastershadowcaster Posts: 561
    rjfalski said:

I bought this item.... http://www.grilldomeeshop.com/Grill-Extender-Small.html

it works fine

Thanks!

Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·
  • rjfalski:  Wondering where you bought the Digi Q, I haven't seen those with the BGE badge on it.
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,799
    Looks great. I am doing the same cook (4 butts) starting tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing giving me courage to go for it. I will be controllerless though.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 236
    You can get the BGE Digiq at any BGE dealer I would imagine. Mine carries it. The non-branded is somewhat cheaper though.
    Southern Indiana
    ·

I think my fire building skills need to be honed a bit to keep the flame burning by itself without the use of the digiq.....

·