Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing semi-fail

Options

Made my first wings on the Egg tonight and they were looking fantastic.  The skin wasn't getting as crisp as I would like but I could tell they were fully cooked so I decided to crank up the heat just a little to finish them off.  Flipped them one more time and ran in the house to get my phone to take a picture.  When I opened the egg to snap a picture before pulling them off, it suddenly went inferno on me and I had to pull them off as quick as possible to avoid making my own charcoal.  Although about 50% were pretty charred, they were still tasty and actually nice and juicy on the inside. 

So I would love tips and trick to getting a nice crispy skin without the crazy flames?  I was doing them on a slightly raised grid at about 350°.

Jen

Jen

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Try sprinkling a little corn starch on them, along with your favourite rub or seasoning.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    You might try indirect as well, use a plate setter, if you  have one. I cook at 400*.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    Options

Moody 16 yo daughter just emerged from her bedroom for food since she wasn't hungry at dinner time. She loves them.  She claims that she loves that burnt taste.  Strange child!

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    Options
    I do have a plate setter so I'll have to try that.  The corn starch also sounds like a good idea.  Thank you! 

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Turn the wings frequently too.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hi JenGang!

If you want to jack up the temp to crisp something up, maybe bump the bottom damper open a half inch or so - don't crank it all the way open and walk away.  The egg can go nuclear FAST.  Open the lid for a couple minutes if you want it to ramp up a bit, but don't leave it like that unattended.  I always cook with the lid closed unless I'm manipulating food....for that reason, the temp will run away...even if the bottom damper is closed.
    Options
    First off let me introduce you to charred: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This works for me every time and so easy. 400 Direct & Raised. ( just don't forget you have them on)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Just "Mickey" them next time

Mickey: verb: to cook various types of meat raised direct on the BGE.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Just "Mickey" them next time Mickey: verb: to cook various types of meat raised direct on the BGE.

I like that, hope it catches on. Showing Don Toyota (@Mickey) the respect he deserves. Helluva guy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    This works for me every time and so easy. 400 Direct & Raised. ( just don't forget you have them on)

+1 That is how I do mine but I am a rookie Mickey is the Vet. On a side note every time I see Mickey's name I want to sing the Mickey Mouse song. I need some adult TV in the house   :))

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    Been there, done that. . .  they are sneaky little suckers.  :-w

I cook them raised, direct at ~300F for about an hour with the skin side up for at least 45 minutes of that (I also dust them with cornstarch). 

Try a few ways, you'll find what works for you.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    I've tried raised direct, indirect, corn starch, leaving them uncovered in the fridge... Nothing has worked for me yet for crispy skin. They still taste good but definitely not crispy. Next on my list of experiments is to do them completely skinless.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    How much corn starch are people putting on them.  i tried that once and got nearly all thumbs down.  The taste and texture were hard to describe...  Is it a very light dusting?  Maybe I did a little too much CS.

Thanks for any advice.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95