Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking question / multiple meats

Options
cbr0011
cbr0011 Posts: 93

I have the swing grate.  I want to do a brisket(15lbs) and two pork butts(7lb per) this weekend.  I have a LBGE.  I'm thinking of placing the brisket on the bottom and the butts on top.  But because of the place setter the butts will touch the dome of the BGE and the temp probe on top of the BGE may puncture the butt(don't like that).  Is it okay if the butt touched the dome?  Any recommendation for this cook. 

By the way, I don't have any adjustable rig and not going to get one right now, i just have the swing grate.

Thank you

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. As it cooks and the butts shrink, they will pull away from touching the dome anyway
    Pentwater, MI
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Pull the dome thermometer out and slide it into a cork and the stick it back in hole. Less will be in the way
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Pull the dome thermometer out and slide it into a cork and the stick it back in hole. Less will be in the way

I was going to ask about this yesterday as I have the rig entender and food gets pretty high in the dome.So are you saying drill out a cork put theremometer thr back into hole and also use the clamp on the inside right?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Just be careful that you're not touching the dome too much and choking out the airflow. I've had this happen with turkeys cooked raised before and had to adjust the set-up a bit (glad I had the adjustable rig...). 

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Chubbs said:

I was going to ask about this yesterday as I have the rig entender and food gets pretty high in the dome.So are you saying drill out a cork put theremometer thr back into hole and also use the clamp on the inside right?

Throw the clamp away. You don't need it. Makes it easier to pull it out to calibrate.
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Options
    One more question, what about the wood? I use hickory with the butt and mesquite with the brisket, should I mix them? I know your say why mesquite, I love the stuff. I've always had good results.