Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reminder to recalibrate your dome thermometer

My dome thermometer and the temperature on my DigiQ controller has been the same for a long time until a couple of days ago. The dome thermometer now began running +/- 20* lower. 

It seems like every six months or so i have to recalibrate the dome thermometer. 

Make sure to check it once in a while. They just get out of whack for some reason.

Most all of you already know this....just a reminder.

Springram
Spring, Texas
LBGE and Mini

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Definitely a good reminder. I think one of the reasons they go out of whack sometimes is because I Occasionally turn the thermometer by holding onto the dial instead of turning it by the stem.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Good reminder.  Also a good time to check the tightness on your bolts for the dome.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Take the clip off and you're less likely to torque the dial out of calibration.
    Great reminder. Didn't like the difference between my Maverick reading and my dome thermo reading a few days ago, pulled the thermos and tested them all. The dome thermo was almost 30F low using boiling water. Time to calibrate it. 

As @Nolaegghead says, if you are in the habit of spinning your dome thermo so the desired temp is at the 12:00 o'clock position (makes it easier to read from a distance), remove the clip, otherwise you could torque the dial out of calibration. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I think you guys are correct. I do move the thermometer to set it with the 0* at the bottom all the time. That must be a major reason why it does goes out of calibration. 

Thanks to you folks. I have learned.  The forum is the best for us Eggheads,

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    with all this good info, i think it is time to calibrate my thermo tomorrow. i have never done if (probably should have by now). any tips on how to calibrate? thanks in advance
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553

tulocay said:

with all this good info, i think it is time to calibrate my thermo tomorrow. i have never done if (probably should have by now). any tips on how to calibrate? thanks in advance

Boil a pot of water. I get a slotted spatula and drop the pointy end through into the water, holding the spatula and the dial just above the boiling water. Thermometer should read 212° at sea level. If it is off turn the nut on the back of the dial slightly to adjust. 

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ibanda said:

tulocay said:

Boil a pot of water. I get a slotted spatula and drop the pointy end through into the water, holding the spatula and the dial just above the boiling water. Thermometer should read 212° at sea level. If it is off turn the nut on the back of the dial slightly to adjust. 

Yep, minus one degree for every 500 feet of altitude.  So if you're in Denver, boiling is 202.