Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak - had to buy some...

Options
Was forced to try some of this tonight.  The Wicked Good supply should be on its way soon, perhaps even next week!  Found a special at Wally World, 10lb bag for $5.88.  I thought it burned nice and was a faster pace the the BGE lump.  So far this is my ranking of what I have tried:

1. Wicked Good - just simply the best! Lasts forever and taste is terrific.
2. BGE Brand Lump - burns faster than wicked but I do like it.  
3. Royal Oak - would burn real nice in a mini because the pieces are smaller
4. Cowboy - my local Ace Hardwares stock this and it is just horrid!! I cannot think of a worse lump to cook with.  I would rather turn on my gas blow torch than use this junk!!

Curious to see what your thoughts are out there?  Any other brands that have worked well?  If so, where did you purchase?  
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would be curious to see your scientific methods to determine the posted results??  Number two and number three are made by the same company, just different bags......  Lump is probably one of the cheapest products eggers buy --  but the most argued about??
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    My understanding.... BGE brand = Royal Oak. (rebranded as BGE). I could be wrong, I am sure someone will correct me, if I am.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options

My understanding.... BGE brand = Royal Oak. (rebranded as BGE). I could be wrong, I am sure someone will correct me, if I am.
    That may be the case, but, the bag of RO that I opened definitely had smaller pieces that my most recent bag of BGE that was opened.  I also noticed a more pronounced smell with the BGE vs RO.  
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Powderhound
    Options
    I would be curious to see your scientific methods to determine the posted results??  Number two and number three are made by the same company, just different bags......  Lump is probably one of the cheapest products eggers buy --  but the most argued about??
    No science necessary or needed, just a simple observation and one Egger's opinion.  Also, see my reply to CAT Seller.  
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Well, I'll agree that Cowboy is trash anyway.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Charlie tuna
    Options

That may be the case, but, the bag of RO that I opened definitely had smaller pieces that my most recent bag of BGE that was opened.  I also noticed a more pronounced smell with the BGE vs RO.  

Take any manufactured bag of lump and mishandle it, throw it on the ground a few times, or sit on it -- you will have plenty of small pieces!  It is brittle.  I think just the way it is stocked makes a difference in it's size.  I don't think the size of the lump makes a great difference in it's ability to produce heat.  Some (?) manufacturer's representative posted a good piece a few days ago, about ALL lump.  I thought it was on the money!  We eggers need to realize how this "stuff" is manufactured and can easily change size and can have some rocks in it, wires, bullits, etc..    My  $.02

• Powderhound
    Options
    Charlie Tuna, please provide the link from the Manufacturer? Would love to learn more.  
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    The nakedwhiz.com site has an exhaustive reviews of all brands of lump.  Royal Oak produces the  lump for BGE.  When Walmart had the memorial day special and had bigger 20 pound or so bags of Royal Oak, the pieces were bigger like you get in BGE 20# bag.  Not sure if due to handling or packing methods, or what--but bigger bag, bigger pieces of lump.  Walmart back to 8# bags of RO now, and pieces are in fact smaller than BGE 20# bag--had chance to use BGE at GaMtnEggFest recently.  I believe it also is known that Publix Greenwise brand of lump is also made by RO--and is a hair cheaper than WallyWorld RO
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Charlie Tuna, please provide the link from the Manufacturer? Would love to learn more.

Check this post out, it is a good read:
    By:  BrotherEgg   on   June 24th       Name of post:    "Found this in my BGE lump"